Ram (Ddr2/ddr3)

spectrum

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some more RAM for my machine, but its very confusing, I have an ASROCK N68C-S UCC motherboard, which has slots for both DDR2 and DDR3, and is socket am2+, however it supports am3 processors. The processor I have is socket am2+ (AMD Athlon II x2 250) and i'm not sure whether or not i'm limited to ddr2 ram with my current processor, or whether I can buy ddr3.
The current installed memory is 2gb of ddr2 at 800mhz, the mobo supposedly can do 1066mhz ddr2, or 1333mhz ddr3, obviously I would prefer ddr3 but am not sure if I can have it (I'm aware I can't have both types simultaneously). If I buy more ddr2 can I have 1066mhz and leave the 800 stick in, or does it all need to be the same speed?
Basically looking for some help, with what would be best, DDR3 would be ideal because then if I upgrade the motherboard in the future I will be able to keep the same RAM, and obviously it's faster. Cheers :)

I'm looking to buy some more RAM for my machine, but its very confusing, I have an ASROCK N68C-S UCC motherboard, which has slots for both DDR2 and DDR3, and is socket am2+, however it supports am3 processors. The processor I have is socket am2+ (AMD Athlon II x2 250) and i'm not sure whether or not i'm limited to ddr2 ram with my current processor, or whether I can buy ddr3.
The current installed memory is 2gb of ddr2 at 800mhz, the mobo supposedly can do 1066mhz ddr2, or 1333mhz ddr3, obviously I would prefer ddr3 but am not sure if I can have it (I'm aware I can't have both types simultaneously). If I buy more ddr2 can I have 1066mhz and leave the 800 stick in, or does it all need to be the same speed?
Basically looking for some help, with what would be best, DDR3 would be ideal because then if I upgrade the motherboard in the future I will be able to keep the same RAM, and obviously it's faster. Cheers :)

DDR3 is supported by your CPU, up to 1333MHz.
TO answer your other questions, if you add faster DDR2 RAM, it'll just underclock the faster ram to match the slower ram:

800MHz + 1066MHz = 800MHz + 800MHz

If you mix DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, I can only see it going wrong so don't do it. DDR3 is faster, and more energy efficient, so swap it all out for DDR3 if you can afford it.

Thank you so much for making that clear for me :) It says DIMM 240-Pin on the sticks i'm looking at, i'm not sure what that means?

Thank you so much for making that clear for me :) It says DIMM 240-Pin on the sticks i'm looking at, i'm not sure what that means?

it's a connection interface type, relating to the spacing and the pin arrangement if I'm not mistaken. Pretty much any ram you will be looking for DDR3 1333Mhz will be DIMM 240.

Something like this (4 sticks of this)

Edit: If by any chance you're looking to overclock, those sticks in my experience can be absolutely hammered and come out winning.

I was thinking something on the cheaper side such as this, I guess the one you suggested is more efficient/better for overclocking? Out of interest, is it better to have one stick of 4gb, or two sticks or 2gb, or is there little difference?

EDIT, I notice the one you suggested has a latency of 8-8-8-24-2N, as opposed to the one I was thinking of, which states a latency of '9', what exactly is latency?

The timing relates to the delay time it takes the memory controller to ask for a piece of information and for that information to get from where it's stored to the pins (edge of the ram). I wouldn't worry about timing if you're looking for a standard sticks they're all pretty good and I will say there isn't a noticeable difference between timing.

Personally I am a firm believer that running 2 sticks over 1 is a better option, I imagine many will agree. It might use a little more power but what you get is two accessible sticks at the same speed rather than just the one which can create a minor bottleneck, though once again probably not noticeable unless you're being a little intensive.

The stick you showed is perfectly viable though I would suggest going for two sticks, the added bonus is if one stick is a dud then you will be able to still run the computer of the other and vice versa. Perhaps a similar kit like this.

Changed from 1 Gig to 2 Gig on the notebook, dont really notice a change. Any ideas?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back