The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danajs

Reaction score
How can I raise my KH to a more suitable level for RCS?

My tank is currently reading;
- 2KH
- 8GH
- 6.5/7.0pH

RCS are currently living with Amano Shrimp and a Nerite Snail (who seem to be absolutely fine) and I seem to be finding one or two dead every/every other day.

Tank has been running for nearly 2 years.

Simplest & cheapest solution is to add a bit of cuttlebone to the tank.

How can I raise my KH to a more suitable level for RCS?

My tank is currently reading;
- 2KH
- 8GH
- 6.5/7.0pH

RCS are currently living with Amano Shrimp and a Nerite Snail (who seem to be absolutely fine) and I seem to be finding one or two dead every/every other day.

Tank has been running for nearly 2 years.
KH is unlikely to be the issue here.

Are you sure you are finding actual dead shrimp, and not molts?

Could also just be weak stock, from where your purchased the RCS

Are you sure you are finding actual dead shrimp, and not molts?

Could also just be weak stock, from where your purchased the RCS
Yep, whole dead shrimp with the classic white ring, which I believe is a failed molt? I have also found molts from the ones who seem to be doing ok.

All were drip acclimated over a period of time. I also feed a varied diets (mix of Shrimp Cuisine by Hikari(?), mini algae wafers, snowflake, bee pollen, a ‘fruitful’ pellet, etc.). I’m also careful not to over feed.

"White Ring of Death"...no saving shrimp with that affliction, usually...some make it through, most don't...yes, a failed molt

How often do you perform water changes, and what method? Does your tap water gh/kh and ph closely mirror those of the tank? Osmotic shock is a common denominator with WROD

Read more here: https://shrimpkeep.com/white-ring-of-death/

Any suggestions as to what could be the issue?
Not enough info to even guess. But your parameters are similar to my RCS tank where the colony has been thriving for 6-7 years. FWIW I change 80% of the water every week. The oft quoted advice that you will shock your shrimps if you change too much water is nonsense but at 2 years, old tank syndrome could be coming into play.

"White Ring of Death"...no saving shrimp with that affliction, usually...some make it through, most don't...yes, a failed molt

How often do you perform water changes, and what method? Does your tap water gh/kh and ph closely mirror those of the tank? Osmotic shock is a common denominator with WROD

Read more here: https://shrimpkeep.com/white-ring-of-death/
I do 10% water changes weekly. Treat the water I’m adding back in and gradually add into the tank (I don’t drip the water back it). Tap parameters are identical to the tank. And I do my best to temperature match too.

What size is this tank?

Regardless, you need to be changing much more water weekly, 50% at least...minerals are being depleted, and you aren't replacing enough of them

What size is this tank?

Regardless, you need to be changing much more water weekly, 50% at least...minerals are being depleted, and you aren't replacing enough of them
It’s a 20l tank.

So with my tap water being the same pH, KH and GH, is there anything I should be adding as I’m assuming larger water changes won’t help there?

I’ve seen mineral balls and things on eBay, but am reluctant to purchase in case just a waste of money.

So with my tap water being the same pH, KH and GH, is there anything I should be adding as I’m assuming larger water changes won’t help there?
When I suspect a problem my immediate response is a large water change followed by another the following day. Usually this is the only treatment needed. Since you have been doing 10% changes for 2 years your tank water may be very different to your tap water (for the things you haven't or can't measure). I would do a 40-50% change every day for a week and thereafter aim for 50% (miniumum) every week. No need to add anything except dechlorinator.

It’s a 20l tank.

I’ve seen mineral balls and things on eBay, but am reluctant to purchase in case just a waste of money.
Add nothing to the new water but water conditioner....no need to complicate water params, and (probably) waste $ in the process

20L = a little more than 5 USG...the smaller the tank, the less margin of error with water params...I would start off with gradual, larger water changes, a bit more each time...do a 20% change next time, a 30% the next, and so on, until you are changing 50% weekly

What kind of water conditioner do you use? Do you have a liquid test kit? When is the last time you checked levels for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

Add nothing to the new water but water conditioner....no need to complicate water params, and (probably) waste $ in the process

20L = a little more than 5 USG...the smaller the tank, the less margin of error with water params...I would start off with gradual, larger water changes, a bit more each time...do a 20% change next time, a 30% the next, and so on, until you are changing 50% weekly

What kind of water conditioner do you use? Do you have a liquid test kit? When is the last time you checked levels for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?
I used the Tetra Aquasafe (which is what I’ve been using for years). If there is something more preferred for shrimp, I’m happy to change and use the remaining Aquasafe on my betta tanks only.

I use the NT Labs liquid test kit. All have been checked recently and were all 0.00, but will check again today to be safe.

When I suspect a problem my immediate response is a large water change followed by another the following day. Usually this is the only treatment needed. Since you have been doing 10% changes for 2 years your tank water may be very different to your tap water (for the things you haven't or can't measure). I would do a 40-50% change every day for a week and thereafter aim for 50% (miniumum) every week. No need to add anything except dechlorinator.
The tank used to be a Betta tank, so I used to do much large water changes as I was advised that large water changes can kill shrimp. The tank was rescaped September/October time - the substrate was refreshed by removing some of the old stuff and adding in some new as I wanted a gravel/sand mix. Lots of plants were added - I try by Tropica plants only, but the ones that have been purchased elsewhere were left soaking for days before being added. And I swapped out most of my seiryu stone for coconut shells (which were boiled before adding to the tank). Filter media was cleaned using tank water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back