Rainbow fish curved back

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mmarx339

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay so to start. I had a 20 gallon tank that had 1 beta 2 cory cats and 1 turquoise rainbow fish. The tank sat that way from January ish to about a couple weeks ago. I then added 2 dwarf rainbows 2 boesemani rainbows and 2 more female betas. Everything seemed fine then I eventually noticed that one of the boesemani was definitely a boy and the other a girl. The big male turquoise was being darted at by the tiny boesemani i assume for male dominance. Then one morning i woke up and my big male turquoise had turned an all grey black color so I panicked removes him and put him in a small observing tank. Once i did that his colors started coming back and he seemed okay so i figured probably stressed out and tried to hide itself to look like less of a threat to the aggressor. Well i removed the small male boes. And got a female and 3 Australian Rainbows (1 non aggressive male and 2 females) then i noticed the turquoise who had never seemed anything but a chill swimmer was randomly not attacking but jumping in the direction of other fish i assume to get away from him so he could have his space. So i got and set up a 55 gallon tank moved everything over. now today is the first day after moving to new tank, and i dont know if this was there before i dont think so but he seems to have a crook/bend in his tail now as well colors were darker when i got up (charcoal tail and dark/faded color) he ligjtened up a bit but not to normal id say. He still eats but not like he used to (darting to the top to grab food) now he just kinda waits for food to fall and grabs it. No fast swimming just listing lazely around similar to a beta. Prior tank was a 20 gallon but everything else in ther was baby sized so the tank was adequate for the time but i was going to upgrade anyway and i care deeply for my fish so i wanted to make him happy and get a new bigger tank. He is now isolated in the 20 gallon by himself incase it’s some type of disease or injury that can lead to anything as i am very new and dont know much first hand but read alot. So thats the back story water Parameters are ph 8-8.2 amonia is usually 0 but at .25 ish ppm because of new fish. Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate is between 5ppm and 10ppm and i will attatch some pictures thank you in advance to anyone who can shed any light or offer advice.
A94DB4D8-E582-4796-B274-130143B74E3C.jpeg
B1F69EE8-33E3-4209-B94E-181DAD78ACA4.jpeg
69C19735-1FDB-4860-BDDB-90F4BE0EFF05.jpeg
BBB1769D-42D9-4699-ABCA-EA34C6D3D8F7.jpeg
0A88B56D-CF21-494B-8AD7-53B1420A769D.jpeg
2F2309A5-B3DA-45AB-B2A3-AB58C40F17A7.jpeg
FC269BFA-16A4-4BDD-AB77-DBC4FB11B655.jpeg
C19AB42F-6240-42C7-8FA4-A8D8B30EDD59.jpeg
4D7472E6-0747-442A-8F8C-B55947366979.jpeg
26B98E84-9F57-4260-B269-1CA4AF98A591.jpeg
253918F7-FCB2-4428-8BD2-A820D64F3AE7.jpeg
E9AA6DC0-DAB1-413E-B182-6EC88A0D5A18.jpeg
65A5FC63-E4C6-4491-9F02-74704CD8B431.jpeg
EB949903-9239-4799-BB6E-E88ADB37ADC1.jpeg
3319B978-430D-4E92-8B9E-45C7816749C3.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi: Lets start off with the fact that bettas aren't community fish so please rehome your bettas however if you want to keep one you can spoil it by giving it a 10 gallon tank with a heater, sponge filter and some live plants and please cycle it.
Also, you need to have a shoal of 6 or more corydoras as they are schooling/shoaling species of fish.
Now with the basics, for how long have you had the fish? What is your pH, GH and KH? What is your water hardness? Is your tank cycled? What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi: Lets start off with the fact that bettas aren't community fish so please rehome your bettas however if you want to keep one you can spoil it by giving it a 10 gallon tank with a heater, sponge filter and some live plants and please cycle it.
Also, you need to have a shoal of 6 or more corydoras as they are schooling/shoaling species of fish.
Now with the basics, for how long have you had the fish? What is your pH, GH and KH? What is your water hardness? Is your tank cycled? What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
What betta?

Edit: nevermind I missed that part lol

The betas are female and are a sorority fish. The 20 was cycled since January. the 55 just got set up yesterday with moving over filter and stuff to keep bacteria for quick fast cycle. Only test kit i have is api master that is my ammonia is usually 0 but at .25ppm cuz of new fish nitrites are 0ppm nitrates are between 5-10ppm water is ph8.2 so thats all i can provide for that (plan on getting more corys just had a smaller tank and was one of first fish added so didn't want to over add and kill everything).

Its 3 female betta total was singular now 3
Also the first female beta was the Original fish in the tank first then 2 corys and 1 rainbow ( yes i know schooling but petco only had 1 and he was adult size and i wanted to give him a good home)

Rainbow fish can take pH from 7.0 to 8.0 and yours is 8.2 which can have an effect on you rainbow fish, but I can be mistaken and the fact that female fish can be sorority they aren't community fish and only experienced fish keepers can do this with or without problems, but can you? You will have some problems with the sorority at some point if you don't know enough about female betta sorority.
Your tank is still uncycled as you want your ammonia and nitrite to be at 0ppm and remain constant, but given the fact that you just set up this tank I would say that you should wait some time and test your tank water everyday and I also would recommend you to do a 75% water change today and don't clean out your filter media for 8 weeks from now to let your beneficial bacteria colony grow, and when adding new fresh water to the tank, make sure it's dechlorinated first.

The female bettas are fine. My only concern is the high ph. That usually points to a high gh as well. Can you see if you can find the gh on your local water providers website?

The rainbows will probably be fine but the bettas and cories will probably have issues long term

Until issues... that's what I'm afraid about...
Female bettas should be ok in a community as long as you keep an eye on them. I successfully had 1 in my community. There still can be issues but way less likely than having a male

On the bent spine, it could be a genetic issue or old age

The female bettas are fine. My only concern is the high ph. That usually points to a high gh as well. Can you see if you can find the gh on your local water providers website?

The rainbows will probably be fine but the bettas and cories will probably have issues long term
I can seem to find it but maybe someone else would have better luck? Its going to be appleton wi water

Female bettas should be ok in a community as long as you keep an eye on them. I successfully had 1 in my community. There still can be issues but way less likely than having a male
I know, but like I said I'm afraid about problems between the three..
On the bent spine, it could be a genetic issue or old age
I agree

Mine literally eat and float around never flare at anything or go at anything. Red full grown betta is the leader and is over a year old. When i first got rainbow shed flare but not do anything and i just kept removing her and putting her in time outs essentially and eventually she became the most docile fish ive ever seen. Anyway can we stop talking about my bettas and help me with my rainbow. Im working on getting tests done to my personal water at my local store but i have to wait for my guy to be working so that he can test for me (because of COVID-19 they wont do water tests unless a fish died). And we can revisit that part later. But ive been having a 3 day anxiety attack about rainbow and would just like help with him. The only bad behavior in the tank has been the male bose darting at rainbow. Thats what started this Phenomenon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back