Rainbow Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Got a new little rainbow cichlid yesterday, all 2" of him !

Chesterdaytwolores.jpg

COnfident little blighter too. Not at all phased by his enormous tankmates. Eating superbly too.

Hopefully he'll turn out something like the one on this link - http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile123.html

Anyone had personal experience of this species ?

I saw a tankful of adults at an LFS a few days ago and they were stunning. However, I didn't think it wise to add an adult rainbow cichlid to the 8" midas and 6" GT in my tank already. They are much less threatened by "small fry". I suspect an adult newcomer would not last the night.

THe midas, GT and firemouth in there are pretty cool about the noob's arrival. He is the smallest in the tank, so I was hoping for that response.
My long term plan for the tank is to rehome the midas, as I can't see him and the large male GT getting on in the tank long term. I have fallen hopelessly in love with the GT so its defo the midas that will be going.
There can only be one "king" of the tank, so I plan on having a few smaller cichlids in there with the GT as the undisputed boss. I have a firemouth and a rainbow cichlid so far, as GT's serfs. Maybe one/two more ? (sajica, salvini ?) suggestions welcome ! (It's a 500 litre/130 gallon BTW).

Franklin, the newish firmouth is doing terrifically. I couldn't resist a new shot of him.

Franklinlores.jpg

Boucouti! Got to get one in that kind of set up seriously. Have to say though not sure how a rainbow cichlid will fare with a midas and GT?

Nice fish but have to wonder how he/she will fair as Wills has mentioned...fingers crossed it's no threat and therefore left alone
crazy.gif

I am guessing if the firemouth does alright so will the rainbow

Boucouti! Got to get one in that kind of set up seriously. Have to say though not sure how a rainbow cichlid will fare with a midas and GT?

As I explained, the midas will be going fairly shortly anyway (as Midas go, he's a bit of a softy anyway, so I'm not worried in the short term).
In my experience, a large cichlid generally doesn't perceive a significantly smaller species as a threat.
Apart from the midas throwing his weight around at times it's all as peaceful as can be. I think it's as good a chance of working as any mixture of cichlids.

Bocourti are certainly beauties but will not fit in with the philosophy of this tank, which is the male GT as the boss and with a number of significantly smaller (but reasonably sturdy) cichlids providing additional movement, colour and character.
A bocourti is likely to grow as large or larger than the GT, and there would be a good chance of fisticuffs with the GT ... of which the GT is likely to lose I suspect.

Kept a group of five Multispinosa (rainbow cichlids) with a group of Keyhole cichlids,clown loaches,and Bristlenose.
They are not what I would place with a Green Terror.
Many cichlids will get on while they are juveniles ,it is when they reach sexual maturity that problems arise. I would expect the Green terror upon reaching adult size, to inflict damage on possibly both the Firemouth, and the Rainbow cichlid who will remain much smaller.
Rainbow cichlids will happily eat foods rich in animal proteins that the Green Terror and Firemouth enjoy, but the Rainbow cichlids will do poorly without substantial vegetable matter as well.
In the wild ,they consume quite a bit of algae and plant matter in addition to small crustaceans ,and other critters.
I used to hang Dried marine algae from veggie clip that the Rainbows would nibble on along with unfortunately,,my plants .
Perhaps if they have suitable space and cover to avoid the territory established by the Green terror (which can be considerable),, they will fair o.k.
Most literature describes the Rainbow cichlid as being rather peaceful fish and my expieriences with them suggest that this is true. They will not be able to hold a candle against an adult Green Terror who could,, if it chose,,, terminate them quicker than you could intervene.
I currently keep and adult Green Terror in 56 gal tank with one 6 inch Spotted Raphael. He is quite happy with this arrangement but should the Raphael venture to close to his corner of the tank, the attack is swift.

Kept a group of five Multispinosa (rainbow cichlids) with a group of Keyhole cichlids,clown loaches,and Bristlenose.
Many cichlids will get on while they are juveniles ,it is when they reach sexual maturity that problems arise. I would expect the Green terror upon reaching adult size, to inflict damage on possibly both the Firemouth, and the Rainbow cichlid who will remain much smaller.
Rainbow cichlids will happily eat foods rich in animal proteins that the Green Terror and Firemouth enjoy, but the Rainbow cichlids will do poorly without substantial vegetable matter as well.
In the wild ,they consume quite a bit of algae and plant matter in addition to small crustaceans ,and other critters.
I used to hang Dried marine algae from veggie clip that the Rainbows would nibble on along with unfortunately,,my plants .
Perhaps if they have suitable space and cover to avoid the territory established by the Green terror (which can be considerable),, they will fair o.k.
Most literature describes the Rainbow cichlid as being rather peaceful fish and my expieriences with them suggest that this is true. They will not be able to hold a candle against an adult Green Terror who could,, if it chose,,, terminate them quicker than you could intervene.
I currently keep and adult Green Terror in 56 gal tank with one 6 inch Spotted Raphael. He is quite happy with this arrangement but should the Raphael venture to close to his corner of the tank, the attack is swift.

Seems like I've got a real softy of a GT.

As I already stated, he's 6", pushing 7", and very gentle with any smaller fish. Although I know some big GT's can be brutal, I would be surprised if my male changed in character enormously, as he is very much an adult already.
The veggie content shouldn't be a problem, as I give plenty of quality veg-based pellets and crisps all the time (in fact it is their staple diet). Most CA 's, including GT's and firemouths are omnivores and really need a decent amount of veg in their diet anyway.

In my experience, a large territorial cichlid will be extremely forgiving (even ignoring) to smaller fish who they don't see as a threat, but are too big to be seen as food.

Certainly no problems here so far.

I keep a breeding pair of rainbow's they're normally pretty placid except when they're breeding, they put up a pretty good fight against my severums which are more than twice the size.

In terms of food they do pretty well on a good mix, flake, pellet peas, they're not very fussy eat just about anything

I keep a breeding pair of rainbow's they're normally pretty placid except when they're breeding, they put up a pretty good fight against my severums which are more than twice the size.

In terms of food they do pretty well on a good mix, flake, pellet peas, they're not very fussy eat just about anything

Ccol. THanks Monty.

My little guy is also extremely flexible about food. He eats anything, anytime !

He also seems like he can stick up for himself, within reason.

Seems like I've got a real softy of a GT.

As I already stated, he's 6", pushing 7", and very gentle with any smaller fish. Although I know some big GT's can be brutal, I would be surprised if my male changed in character enormously, as he is very much an adult already.
The veggie content shouldn't be a problem, as I give plenty of quality veg-based pellets and crisps all the time (in fact it is their staple diet). Most CA 's, including GT's and firemouths are omnivores and really need a decent amount of veg in their diet anyway.

In my experience, a large territorial cichlid will be extremely forgiving (even ignoring) to smaller fish who they don't see as a threat, but are too big to be seen as food.

Certainly no problems here so far.

Hope your beliefs pan out.

Hamfist, did I just spot your Midas on Aquarist Classified? If so, was it aggression in the tank that brought the sale on?

Hamfist, did I just spot your Midas on Aquarist Classified? If so, was it aggression in the tank that brought the sale on?

Yes it was him, he was generally rather grumpy with everyone, and I knew that he wasn't going to fit in long term with the others.
And then he tried to eat all my Sajicas one night ... left them battered and bruised. So he's been in solitary confinement since. He went to a new 7' tank home today. Hope he'll be happy, I liked him, a real character.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back