help me stock my first 125 gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishingpanda

Reaction score
ive had 55 gallon planted tanks for a while with zebra parrots and pacman Cichlid also have well as rainbow fish. i just got my first 125 gallon tank and want to plan it out before i get it set up and need help with stocking ideas and how many fish... Im not looking for oscars at the moment the fish i have in mind so far are listed down below im not sure if they will work out or how to stock, looking for breeders if i can but if there are other fish ideas i can set up with lots of color

Zebra Parrot Cichlid
Blue Phantom Pleco
Salvin's Cichlid "Tabasco/Grijalva"
Spotted Sailfin Pleco
Firemouth Cichlid
silver dollars
1 bala shark......
penguin & neon tetras

Do you know your water hardness you have a mix of requirements on that list so easy way to choose.

I’d avoid the sailfin pleco and Bala shark as they get huge and there are better options out there and on your list.

The salvini cichlid is beautiful but very very aggressive so if you want to keep this you’d need to do everything around that one fish rather than having a broad choice

What’s a Pac-Man Cichlid btw not heard that common name before?

What’s a Pac-Man Cichlid btw not heard that common name before?
im not sure of what other names they are used for was calling them what the site did. and i have no water in the aquarium yet its in shipping still what would be a good stock idea out of the list i still got a lot to learn

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 8
That looks African... or maybe Ram like... is it central / south American???

ah... its an Apistogramma

Last edited:
That looks African... or maybe Ram like... is it central / south American???
its south american i think its a dwarf this is where i got them. but they are doing great in the 55 i have

might I suggest clown loaches for their great personality.

Ah ok its a species of Apistogramma https://imperialtropicals.com/products/pacman-apisto-apistogramma-sp-d12?variant=40479469109271

I think the Pacman name is a bit of a gimmick as its just a spot on the body just before the tail. So if this is going into your 55 with the Polar Parrots and Rainbowfish do you know your hardness levels? The Apisto will need quite soft to very soft water - it is a new species to the hobby so may be wild or F1. Where as your rainbows come from hardwater habitats so you've got a bit of a clash there.

In terms of the 125 - if you can let us know your water hardness like a gh or ppm measurement that will be a good starting point.

Wills

Ah ok its a species of Apistogramma https://imperialtropicals.com/products/pacman-apisto-apistogramma-sp-d12?variant=40479469109271

I think the Pacman name is a bit of a gimmick as its just a spot on the body just before the tail. So if this is going into your 55 with the Polar Parrots and Rainbowfish do you know your hardness levels? The Apisto will need quite soft to very soft water - it is a new species to the hobby so may be wild or F1. Where as your rainbows come from hardwater habitats so you've got a bit of a clash there.

In terms of the 125 - if you can let us know your water hardness like a gh or ppm measurement that will be a good starting point

Wills
the rainbows and the ciclids are in separate tanks and water hardness is around 6.5

what about this for a set up? but no clue how many or what.. its going to be a planted tank if its possable and i will do what i can to make the water ph right for the fish its why im asking for stocking ideas so i can do some reading on those fish o,0
Zebra Parrot Cichlid
Blue Phantom Pleco
Firemouth Cichlid
silver dollars
clown loach
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey ?
red shoulder green severum ?
Tetras?

Cool ok so it would be great if you can confirm your hardness - maybe get a test kit but its looking like your water is generally soft and acidic which is great for a variety of species.

From your list if you want a planted tank you have a couple of fish on there known for eating aquarium plants like Severums and Silver Dollars as well as fish that dig like the Firemouth and Jack Dempsey. If you have the Zebra Parrots in your other tank do you really want them in both?

In a 125 are the dimensions 72' x 18' x 20' so you want to stick to fish that max out around 8-9 inches as adults, though a little under might be better.

I can tell you like cichlids, plecos and the community aspect so if it were me with your tank and your water I'd be looking at something like

4x Geophagus Winemilleri (or similar sized Geophagus - Red Head Tapajos, Svenii etc)
1x Threadfin Acara (I always think these look great with Geos - the Albino variant is particularly cool but you can't go too wrong)
8x Annostomus Ternetzi (or similar head stander - spotted, marbled, strawberry etc)
20x Lemon Tetras (or similar deep-bodied tetra - X-Ray, Flame, Phantom etc)
8x Flagtail Catfish (or similar chunky Callichthyidae like Brochis or one of the bigger Corydoras)
3x Whiptail Catfish (Sturisoma or Rineloricaria species - few other options too)

With this kind of stocking you have a gregarious group of Geophagus with a Threadfin Acara to keep them in check, a big school of deep-bodied tetras to act as dither fish, the headstands as a larger schooling fish for interesting behaviour and colour. Big school of bottom dwellers to zip along the sand substrate and get the muck into the water column and between the Whiptail Catfish and the Headstanders your tank will be picked clean of algae. The head standers can sometimes nibble plants but mine were pretty good in the past - you could replace these for something like a Hemiodus characin which is a more open-water swimmer or a bigger disk characin like a Colombian Tetra or Bleeding Heart Tetra. You could also swap the whiptails for some of the plecos you mentioned.

Just remember though this is just my personal preference, I've stuck to a South American biotope but you could mix in some of the barbs from Asia like Denison Barbs or Mascara Barbs instead of the Headstanders - Congo Tetras and the different types of African Tetra could also be a cool option.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Back