Rabbut's Marine Jurnal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The nem is certainly standing out more from the background of the tank and the creamy white does look more true. Wish I could work out how you would really get that purple to stand out.

Do you use actinic lighting Rabbut? I know you have a MH but do you have a seperate actinic as this might be the way to get the colour to stand out.

Raising ISO is good move as is using the macro. Not familiar with nikons apart from microscope camera at work and then we use the computer to adjust anyway. You could try upping and lowering the white balance, on mine it looks like a battery with a plus and minus sign on.

Thats a nice feather duster too, and in my experience whenever you try to photograph wildlife of any kind, they move when the camera comes out!!

Do you use actinic lighting Rabbut? I know you have a MH but do you have a seperate actinic as this might be the way to get the colour to stand out.

Nope just a 14,000K Halide ATM. I don't really have the power sockets or space in the cabinet/wiring box to wire in some Actinic either. I intend to install Blue LED's though when I change my lighting over sometime during the summer break from Uni though...

Raising ISO is good move as is using the macro. Not familiar with nikons apart from microscope camera at work and then we use the computer to adjust anyway. You could try upping and lowering the white balance, on mine it looks like a battery with a plus and minus sign on.

The camera only really allowed you to use the Macro or High-ISO settings separately, I haven't dug about in the settings enough to work out how to get it to do both at the same time...

Thats a nice feather duster too, and in my experience whenever you try to photograph wildlife of any kind, they move when the camera comes out!!

Thanks. Why couldn't living things all just freeze and pose for the camera when one comes by? Mind, being a bit camera shy myself, I can't say I blame the poor things :lol: :blush:

All the best
Rabbut

OK, I'm going to let the photo's do the talking this time, mainly because I cannot be bothered typing out details of what everything is....

No, some of this is old stuff, others new, some existing and not photographed before, and I may try add a photo of the Yellow Prawn Goby later, as it wasn't playing ball.

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

DSCN0091.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0078.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0073.jpg

DSCN0096.jpg

Now, there is one photo of new stock, one of old stock that I haven't been able to photograph before and the rest is all "old" stock, bar the FTS last...

Enjoy :good:
Rabbut

that looks like a bi-colour blenny to me, the coolest fish there is!

I assume you mean this chap? I've ID'd him as a Salarias fasciatus. He is a nice fish, lots of personality and always looking at me as if to say "what you doing" when I'm about and/or messing with the tank... Rather fat also... He's not part of the new stock though, I added him probably a few months back now, but he is rather camera shy...

All the best
Rabbut

that looks like a bi-colour blenny to me, the coolest fish there is!

I assume you mean this chap? I've ID'd him as a Salarias fasciatus. He is a nice fish, lots of personality and always looking at me as if to say "what you doing" when I'm about and/or messing with the tank... Rather fat also... He's not part of the new stock though, I added him probably a few months back now, but he is rather camera shy...

All the best
Rabbut

yea deff not a bi colour. I got the same one mine is camera shy to.

whats your water like? got alot of algea, mine didnt even look like that when it was cycling being uncured.
I guess you do have a metal halide

Strangely enough, now the canister filters packed up, the algae has died back :unsure: Makes me wonder if I needed to clean it out more often :rolleyes:

Anyhow, note please folks, clean impellers regularly if they are gathering Calcium deposits, running with lots of them stuck to the impeller of a pump may lead to an impeller failure. I've found this one out the hard way, hence why the canister is dead :sad: Oh well, that's just £15 for parts down the drain :crazy:

I suppose I should do a photo up-date at some point...

All the best
Rabbut

OK, I haven't updated this for a while with photo's, so I figued I would...

I've just finished a 40% water change, and another 40% of water volume will be added tomorrow when the skimmer and external filter go back on-line :good: Oh, and you may notice that I've had a re-scape :hyper:

Now, this is just an hour or two after a 40% water change and major shuffle, so most of the stock is still stropping. Anything that hadn't yet opened out again yet, namely the Malu Anemone, Green Star Polyps and the Organ Pipe coral, have been left off for now...

DSCN0104.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

This is some sea weed that has cropped up, presumably from the initial load of LR. Anyone know if this stuff is a pest?

DSCN0108.jpg

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

DSCN0115.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

And just to finish, a nice FTS

DSCN0129.jpg

All the best and enjoy
Rabbut

that white new is so stunning, i keep coming back to look at it xD

Thanks you three. I've done a little bit of playing with it over the last few days, and tried to get the corals into better spots (when I initially scaped it I couldn't see too far into the tank due to the amount of detritus I'd stired up)... If a pig flies again soon, there may be another round of photo's going up over the weekend, but don't count on it :lol:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back