Quick question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NRPetersen08

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

New here but not new to fish keeping so don't worry it won't be another post asking about cycling or any of that lol. I just got back into the swing of things with a little 5g tank for the Betta my 6yr old wanted and I got the blessing to start up a tank or two of my own, I'm going to start with just a little 10g freshwater but was wondering if any of you were going to start a 10g right now, what filter would you use? I was debating over an aqua clear or just an Aqueon, has anything changed? Any better options out there?

Thanks for any input guys I really appreciate it and I'm really stoked to get my little buddy's around the house again

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

AquaClear is the better brand. Get a couple of spare sponges and have 3 sponges in it. Leave the carbon and ceramic beads in the box.

You can get round/ cylindrical sponges for some brands of internal power filter. These round sponges have a hole through the centre and fit over the intake strainer of most external power filters. They help prevent sick fish being sucked onto the filter intake.

I have both filters and the Aqueon honestly can’t hold a candle to the Aqua Clear most of the time. I use the Aqua Clear in several of my tanks now. However, It really depends on what you plan to put in the 10G because the Aqua Clear does create more current. Not sure if it’s the best for such a small tank. I would probably vote Aqueon for a 10G and spend the extra money on something else.

I concur with @Deansue, I used to have a ton of Aqueon Filters in all of my 5, 10 and 20 gallon tanks, and they worked great! ;)

A 10g tank is a very small space (to fish) and the only suitable species will be the "nano" type that remain very small at maturity. With that in mind, such fish do not appreciate currents, so a single sponge filter will be adequate for this tank. A small internal filter that is nothing more than a sponge and motor is much the same thing, just not requiring an air pump. Whichever, this is all you need or want with such fish.

Well yea I'm not gonna put an Oscar in a 10g lol, it'll be small fish in it. I've had an Aqueon whisper whatever years ago and really had no issues with it at all but I also didn't think about the faster current with the Aqua Clear so I'm kind of leaning towards that. I was just more curious of the longevity of them or if some new company has came up with a better one but it sounds like I'll be just fine with the Aqueon still, not sure if I want to do live plants or not yet, if I do does anyone have any insight on a good 6500k led setup?

859DEF44-A540-45CE-AD01-5FEA69E37B46.png
I take it by your liters and k’s that you are not in the U.S.. lol! I think you are talking about what equals a 29 gallon here. Hope I’m correct. If by chance you are in the States, this is by far your best bang for your buck. It comes with tank, LED lighting lid, and filter. I have several of these kits and can’t tell them apart from my others.

I didn't say anything about liters and the 6500k reference is to the Kelvin rating of the led light which is the minimum you would want in order to give live plants something that replicates natural sunlight but thanks for the input though

I didn't say anything about liters and the 6500k reference is to the Kelvin rating of the led light which is the minimum you would want in order to give live plants something that replicates natural sunlight but thanks for the input though
I apologize, read too many posts and got confused.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back