Quick Question :)

juggernuts

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
460
Reaction score
0
Points
0
my girlfriend has a little female honey gourami and its had a right run in, had fungus in eye and caught a gill on something, basically we decided it would be best to put her down.

i have oil of cloves so how should i approach this? im thinkin put the poor thing in a bag of water slowly add a few drops of this clove oil until what? she sleeps or what. then submerge her in water and put her in the freezer?

does this sound about right?
 
my girlfriend has a little female honey gourami and its had a right run in, had fungus in eye and caught a gill on something, basically we decided it would be best to put her down.

i have oil of cloves so how should i approach this? im thinkin put the poor thing in a bag of water slowly add a few drops of this clove oil until what? she sleeps or what. then submerge her in water and put her in the freezer?

does this sound about right?


Hi

First, fungus can be treated, hopefully someone here will be able to give you some guidelines. Go to emergencies, or do a search on the site. You may be able to save your Gourami.

With regard to Euthanasia:
I had a Honey with Dropsy, and eventually after trying to treat, he did not respond. I researched methods of euthanasia, and found so many different opinions, In the end we used oil of cloves. We used a much higher dose then recommended, my little fish did not even struggle for one second. He died instantly.

I hope this helps

Chris
 
my girlfriend has a little female honey gourami and its had a right run in, had fungus in eye and caught a gill on something, basically we decided it would be best to put her down.

i have oil of cloves so how should i approach this? im thinkin put the poor thing in a bag of water slowly add a few drops of this clove oil until what? she sleeps or what. then submerge her in water and put her in the freezer?

does this sound about right?


Hi

First, fungus can be treated, hopefully someone here will be able to give you some guidelines. Go to emergencies, or do a search on the site. You may be able to save your Gourami.

With regard to Euthanasia:
I had a Honey with Dropsy, and eventually after trying to treat, he did not respond. I researched methods of euthanasia, and found so many different opinions, In the end we used oil of cloves. We used a much higher dose then recommended, my little fish did not even struggle for one second. He died instantly.

I hope this helps

Chris


its been just about 2 weeks and its getting worse, no extremes but it actually looks like a black hole appearing just infront of the gourami's eye and its very very still more often than not, its just a small tank so my girlfriend doesnt want to see it 1 struggle and 2 infect other fish we have no other way to seperate it really.

does this clove oil actually kill them or just make them sleep?
thanks again
 
my girlfriend has a little female honey gourami and its had a right run in, had fungus in eye and caught a gill on something, basically we decided it would be best to put her down.

i have oil of cloves so how should i approach this? im thinkin put the poor thing in a bag of water slowly add a few drops of this clove oil until what? she sleeps or what. then submerge her in water and put her in the freezer?

does this sound about right?


Hi

First, fungus can be treated, hopefully someone here will be able to give you some guidelines. Go to emergencies, or do a search on the site. You may be able to save your Gourami.

With regard to Euthanasia:
I had a Honey with Dropsy, and eventually after trying to treat, he did not respond. I researched methods of euthanasia, and found so many different opinions, In the end we used oil of cloves. We used a much higher dose then recommended, my little fish did not even struggle for one second. He died instantly.

I hope this helps

Chris


its been just about 2 weeks and its getting worse, no extremes but it actually looks like a black hole appearing just infront of the gourami's eye and its very very still more often than not, its just a small tank so my girlfriend doesnt want to see it 1 struggle and 2 infect other fish we have no other way to seperate it really.

does this clove oil actually kill them or just make them sleep?
thanks again
 
it kills them, just make sure you put enough in more means quicker

sorry about your gourami, they are beautiful fish.
 
it kills them, just make sure you put enough in more means quicker

sorry about your gourami, they are beautiful fish.


tell me about it in my few years i had two pears one of pearl and one dwarf they were beautiful too, would you believe that 3 of them got stuck behind my filter tube in the corner, seriously, over about a month 3 got wedged in behind there, and i saved one of them once from behind it!

beautiful fish as you say though

thanks for the help people im going to get the hearse ready for poor little thing
 
I have always been on the fence about things like this....
I believe that they should be put out of their misery but I dont know if I could deliberetley end their lives even though I know they will die soon anyway....

Where do you get clove oil from? Is it expensive?
 
You can find it in most shops,

Euthanasia is an option when the fish is clearly suffering or isn't going to get better, sometimes it's clear they arnt going to make it and it's best to end their pain rather than prolong the suffering.

It's an awful job though.
 
Im a nightmare.... I cant kill spiders or anything even though they scare me and we have a small ants nest outside (right by back door) but i dont really fancy killing them either....

If I get an ill fish and someone wants to come and help me out then please feel free as I dont think I could do it myself
 
I stick vodka in the freezer, as this will not freeze until -18 Celsius. Personally I think it is the quickest and most certain way to euthanize your fish.

People who chop heads off put the fish through quite a bit of misery moments before. There is also some controversy regarding clove oil. However when your fish is suffering I think the worst thing you can do is leave a fish that would have been finished off in nature some time earlier.

It is a horrible process but I guess it beats the guilt of doing nothing at all!

Good luck.
 
I felt the same way about ending my fish's life, but he was clearly not going to get better. I researched all the methods of Euthanasia for fish on the net, and there never seems to be a 100% right way to do it. in the end I opted for Clove Oil (it costs a few pounds from the chemist).

All I can say is that for my Honey Gourami, death was instant. He never knew what hit him.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top