Quick Question :

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Does a larger bowl/tank affect how fast the cycle will go?

-- please and thanks :D i'm going to be late for school :X
 
nope.
If there is the same percentage of ammonia in the water (about 5ppm is recommended for fishless cycling), it will take about the same time regardless of tank size or water volume.

Temperature and oxygen do have a significant impact on the speed of the bacteria development. Warm water with lots of oxygen will provide optimum growth rates. Keeping the PH close to 7.0 will also help but most bacteria will thrive in water with a PH between 6.5 & 8.0
 
Oh, okay colin! Thanks!

Also, right now i'm in a tight situation, FFer's, mind helping? :D
So, I have a price limit of 25$.
I cannot use a heater for my project. (It goes over the price, well almost.)

And an ammonia kit is 10 dollars.
A nitrate kit is 10 dollars.

The API master kit is 22 dollars, but it doesn't have ammonia.

So, how much is your bottled ammonia? (I don't care about the currency, i'll find a way around it.)
 
I don't use bottled ammonia because you can't buy it where I am. If I am going to do a fishless cycle I will use a small piece of whitebait or prawn to produce the ammonia. Flake or pellet fish foods can also be used.
 
don't know if it happens in canada but i just asked my chemistry teacher for some ammonia. and it worked to!

i've got an API master test kit - took me months to save for it!. you could look for the ammonia test strips - they've gotta be cheaper
 
I don't use bottled ammonia because you can't buy it where I am. If I am going to do a fishless cycle I will use a small piece of whitebait or prawn to produce the ammonia. Flake or pellet fish foods can also be used.

i did the same with my tanks cos i dont like using ammonia from a bottle i just add fish food to cycle it
 
test strips are cheaper but should be avoided as they are pretty much unreliable.
all hobby test kits are unreliable, if you buy the API master test kit new it comes with:
ammonia #1,#2
nitrite
nitrate #1,#2
PH low range
PH high range

How much IS the regular price of a master kit?

(It's like fourty dollars CAN where i'm at... -___- probably more)
 
I don't think there is a regular price. I find them locally for $25 to $30. On places like E-bay I think you could probably get one to your front door for $20.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top