Quick Question!

the_evil_duboisi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just curious. Are there any given specific differences between the two species of Polypterus endlicheri besides the size?

And also, has anyone heard of "short-bodied" polypterids? Pollys that are shorter and stockier than normal ones?

The two subspecies of Polypterus endlicheri do exhibit differences although the two can be mistaken for each other quite easily. Bpth of them have very flattened heads and the same general pattern but specimens of P. endlicheri endlicheri tend to have fewer and broader 'saddle' markings than do specimens of P. endlicheri congicus which generally has a greater number of narrower bands.

The 'short-bodied' polypterids are selectively-bred mutations coming out of the breeding facilities in Asia.

-Joe

Thanks! And I suppose this could present difficulties as the size differences are very big!

Errr.....Which do you think is more common?

Forgot to mention they're my favorite polyp......More dragon-like fins than any other polyp, bold markings, and cute frog-like eyes! :)

We shouldnt incourage the shortbodies as its another fish thats being bred to be something its not. These fish have been about for hundreds of years then suddenly we breed short stumpy versions....wrong imo.

We shouldnt incourage the shortbodies as its another fish thats being bred to be something its not. These fish have been about for hundreds of years then suddenly we breed short stumpy versions....wrong imo.
exactly. my lfs just stocked some albino ones. short and pump. not something i want in my tank though it seem to appeal to others

and saddled bichirs GET BIG!

No! I was refering to the two endlicheri species! I don't like the short-bodies either!

Which is more common, EE or its subspecies? Because if the sub is more common, that would raise a welt to buyers of endlicheri....... :lol:

imo the endlicheri congicus is probably less common than the endlicheri endlicheri. so far i've seen endlicheri endlicheris in all sizes but only really really large endlicheri congicuss and hardy juveniles. but then again it'd have to depend on their availability in your area

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back