Quick cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ZenWhen

Reaction score
One day while at my local garden center in the hydroponic section I found a product called Fish Sā€”t which is exactly what it is. I decided to try it to cycle my new fish less 29 gallon. I used FS & Seachem Stability. To my surprise it was reading no ammonia, 0 nitrites, & slight nitrates. Holging my breath I put in 8 Porkchop Rasboras. They all survived & thrived. About 10days later I added 6 Ember Tetras , 5 Panda Corys, a Mystery snail & 4 Nerites. Recently I added 5 Cherry Shrimp. Glad to report I lost none & water parameters good. Iā€™ve since done this with a Dwarf African frog 9 flex & a Bloody Mary, shrimp only flex 9. With the same results- cycled in a week to 10 days & no losses.

Fish poo needs to be broken down into chemical parts including ammonia by the activity of detritivores such as fungi and heterotrophic bacteria. Also small invertebrates.

As you are using fish as your ammonia source - you will need to test for ammonia every day and water change as necessary since that means you might be doing a fish in cycle now. If you have plants or the Seachem Stability works better than I think you might be already cycled - but do lots of testing for a few weeks to make sure. The stock seems relatively low which is helping, so if you decide to increase stock go very slow.

Fish poo needs to be broken down into chemical parts including ammonia by the activity of detritivores such as fungi and heterotrophic bacteria. Also small invertebrates.

As you are using fish as your ammonia source - you will need to test for ammonia every day and water change as necessary since that means you might be doing a fish in cycle now. If you have plants or the Seachem Stability works better than I think you might be already cycled - but do lots of testing for a few weeks to make sure. The stock seems relatively low which is helping, so if you decide to increase stock go very slow.
Thanks! I am keeping an eye on parameters & doing weekly partial water changes. So far, so good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back