Questions about Water Changers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Morganna

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, so, since I started fish keeping, I've had to use 5 gallon buckets.
I'm at the point where just thinking about them make me tired. It is exhausting as I am sure y'all must know, to carry them around the house full of water.
So I would love to invest in a water changer. But I have a big question about them.
What about dechlorinating? Do I just have to condition it when the new water is already in the tank?
This is my big hang up right now, so feed back is much appreciated!

Never really searched into them but what I do is just use my garden hose and run it to my tank cause it's on the first floor of the house.
Has worked really well and it helps me do larger water changes.
Yes I still use buckets to carry the water OUT but I'm not having to lift a bucket up to dump it in the tank

What about dechlorinating? Do I just have to condition it when the new water is already in the tank?

Add the necessary amount of the conditioner just before you start the refill. I did this for over 20 years with never a problem.

Use a gravel cleaner and attach it to a garden hose and run it out the door onto the lawn. Gravel clean the substrate and drain the water outside.

Get a couple of large containers and have them near the aquarium.
Flush water through the garden hose for a couple of minutes to remove any softening agents in the hose.
Use the hose to fill up the water containers near the tank.
Add dechlorinator to the containers of water and aerate vigorously for at least 5 (preferably 30) minutes.
Do this before you gravel clean and drain the tank.

Use a water pump and hose to pump water from the containers into the aquarium.

You can make a U shape out of pvc pipe and fit it to the end of the hose. Then hang the U over the side of the aquarium. It will hold the hose in place while the tank fills up.

How do you know how much water came out so you know how much water conditioner to add?
Well just remember how much you take out and then add a bit more than the required amount of dechlorinator. (You can add more because you still have other water in the tank which is treated but the new water will be treated faster. Just don't add a ton extra then its not good)

Well just remember how much you take out and then add a bit more than the required amount of dechlorinator. (You can add more because you still have other water in the tank which is treated but the new water will be treated faster. Just don't add a ton extra then its not good)
Thanks I may also do buckets again then measure how far down say 10 Gallons and mark it with tape on the back so I know how much I take out. I may have to go out and get one tomorrow. I hate using buckets

Thanks I may also do buckets again then measure how far down say 10 Gallons and mark it with tape on the back so I know how much I take out. I may have to go out and get one tomorrow. I hate using buckets
Not a bad idea! Keep in mind though, any decor added or removed will cause a water shift so the tape will only be accurate if the tank stays the way it is

This will fit a regular garden hose spigot correct? I would connect it to that since it's right out my front door.

Not a bad idea! Keep in mind though, any decor added or removed will cause a water shift so the tape will only be accurate if the tank stays the way it is
Thats true but it would give me a better idea so I'm not adding to much conditioner. I understand a little extra is ok. I just thought about measuring the water level lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back