Questions about Water Changers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This will fit a regular garden hose spigot correct? I would connect it to that since it's right out my front door.
What will fit it? The python water changer? I believe it does...
Thats true but it would give me a better idea so I'm not adding to much conditioner. I understand a little extra is ok. I just thought about measuring the water level lol
Yes that is true

water temp of water you are refilling the tank with, should be within a few degrees of the tank water

How do you know how much water came out so you know how much water conditioner to add?
When using buckets, use enough conditioner for the bucket amount.

When using a hose or siphon to fill, treat for the entire volume of the tank.

As mentioned above, it is very important to match the source water temp to the tank temp as closely as possible.

Yes that is what I do now except for the water temp I only change around 10 to 25 Gallons a week in my 125 and 10 to 15 in my 55. Never had any issues. Then again here in az the cold water is never really cold

If you have a tabk at 80F and you do a 50% wc and lets assume the refill water is 5F above or below the tank temp, all your can chnage the temp by is 2.5F. Unless you are keeping the tank on the temp line close to where it will kill fish, that 2.5 change is meaningless. In the wild water tamps are rarely constant. They change with depth. There are very few fish who will suffer aything because their water temp changes by 2.5F.

Let's consider the fact that if we research the temperature conditions any fish requires we do not find a single number, we find a range. Fish in a lake move up and down in depth, they may swim through a inlflow from a spring which es very cold, these things do not kill it. Nightime water temps are often cooler than those during the day, etc.

And the science clear;y shows that if a fish is in a temperature, either cold or hot which would be fatal if they remain there for any time, they exhibit specific behaviors which precede death, the way to save the fish is to get it back into water which is in its normal temperature range ASAP. Do not acclimate it do not waste a minute, just get them into the right temp. This will not kill or harm them it, will save them.

I can tell you I have had practical experience with this and it is absolutely true that this is what must be done.

As for water changes. I do not use a Python. However I use their hoses and have all of their adapters for faucets. I do all garden hose size connectors incluidng om ny utility sink. Even my RO/DI unit uses them. But I pump almost all tank water both out and in. Despite having our own well and not needing to use dechlor, I batch my return water in big Rubbermade trash cans at a warm temp (86F) by the time it goes into tanks is will be cooler, maybe as low as 78F. The fish do not really care.

I pump water out either out a window or into a toilet. The season determines which as well as where the tank is located. In winter when the ground is frozen I cannot pump out windows. I do use buckets to remove water from any tank unde 20 gals. But that is because I rinse media in a bucket of tank water. That is the easiest way to do it. A 50% water change on a 10 gal. tank requires all of two buckets of 2.5 gals. Easy. But all tanks, even my tiny 5.5 gal. are refilled via pumping.

One reason I do things this way is I am old. When I got my first tank I could carry a filled 5 gal. bucket in each hand and carry them the length of the house. Not any more. Pumps are now a necessity rather than a convenience. Also, my tanks are spread out bey=tween 2 buildings and 4 -5 rooms depending on he season. I set up temporary summer tanks, basically outdoors but in the shade, which are only used for about 4.5 months and then taken down.

One last note. I am not willing to use regular garden hoses for tank refilling. These often contain anti-molding agents. All my refill hoses are drinking water grade. BTW- to clean a hose of the mung we cannot see but which is there, I connect the host to a pump, drop it into a bucket with water containing bleach and put the out put end of the hose into the bucket and run the pump for a while. Then I rinse it using clean water which goes down the drain.

I have come to love my pumps and hoses and so does my back......

Yes that is what I do now except for the water temp I only change around 10 to 25 Gallons a week in my 125 and 10 to 15 in my 55. Never had any issues. Then again here in az the cold water is never really cold
We generally recommend alot more than that for WC's; I try to do about 50% weekly

Her in TX, during the summer months, my "cold" water tap is round 88F (my tanks are mid 70s), so I have to float frozen water bottles during WCs to keep the tank temps down

I appreciate the advice I will start changing more water then. I think my water is similar to yours here in the Phoenix area. My tank is also is in the mid 70s middle of the green band of one of those floating thermometers

Okay, so, since I started fish keeping, I've had to use 5 gallon buckets.
I'm at the point where just thinking about them make me tired. It is exhausting as I am sure y'all must know, to carry them around the house full of water.
So I would love to invest in a water changer. But I have a big question about them.
What about dechlorinating? Do I just have to condition it when the new water is already in the tank?
This is my big hang up right now, so feed back is much appreciated!
Hi there! I purchased this one and I love it. I hook it right up to my kitchen faucet. Life saver for sure!!
enomol Gravel Vacuum for Aquarium Water Changer (30ft) https://a.co/d/9Avl7rH

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220921_203354.jpg
    Screenshot_20220921_203354.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 23
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back