Questions About Temporary Tanks For Shrimp And Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I haven't been here in a long time. I've not been as active in the hobby for a while. Currently I don't have the funds for the fish I'd like to have. :) I do have my 35~ gallon and my 20 gallon long still up and running. They both are planted and have snails, but no fish. The 20 gallon is home to my cherry shrimp colony.

These shrimps are the subject of my questions today. This morning the guy from my apartment complex came by and told me he was here to install new tile. I was NOT ready. I had no idea they were coming so he will be back in the morning. This means I need to drain and move both tanks. I've drained the larger tank and pulled all the plants (didn't realize how HUGE some of my plants had gotten, some with roots that ran almost the entirety of the tank). Now I'm looking at my shrimp colony. The plants from the larger tank are in a spare ten gallon. I've got a filter running on it (I have plans to turn this into a betta tank), but I need some place to stow away my twenty gallon plants and shrimp. My plan is to put as many of the twenty gallon plants as I can into my odd 2.5 gallon tank which I used to use for snails when I had puffer fish. I'm going to put as many shrimp as I can catch in here. 

Here are my questions:
1. Do we think the shrimp will be okay without heat and without filtration for one night (maximum two nights as I wanted to do a rescape anyway)?
2. I don't want to get the plants from the twenty gallon confused with the plants from the larger tank as the 35 gallon plants have some sort of algae issue I'm working on. I don't believe I can fit all the plants from the 20 into the 2.5, and I have no other tanks. If I leave some of the plants in the display tank with the substrate and the little bit of water I won't be able to drain out, will my plants die? If I covered the plants with a wet towel or something, would they be okay? I have spent a lot of time and money cultivating these plants. They finally are looking full and amazing again after my move, so I don't want to lose them. 
3. Does anyone want to help me move these tanks? :p

In the past when I've had to break down tanks for a move or other reasons I've gone to Walmart and purchased some of the plastic storage containers they are cheap and will hold water I then transfer the water from the tank into the bin add the heater from the tank to the bin and if you have it an airstone for movement. I've kept fish and shrimp like that for up to a week of corse doing small water changes on the bin. If it's only going to be for a day or two I don't think a water change is necessary. Hope this helps :)

I would like to go get a few extra storage bins, but I don't get paid until Friday and my last pay check all went to rent, so that's not an option right now. It's a very good idea though. I am, however, glad to hear that they should be okay for a night or two without much in the way of filtration. They'll have their favorite java moss in the tank with them so they should be comfortable. It's going to be an adventure catching these guys though. Just found my net ripped to shreds. Ah well. I'll find a cup, I suppose. :)

I've run into a bit of a pickle.

My very large piece of Malaysian driftwood has plants growing in, on, around it. It's not going to fit in my ten gallon. It definitely won't fit in my 2.5 gallon. I have to go to the store for a new net, so I'll see if there is anything that will work with my budget. Otherwise, I'll just have to hope for the best. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back