Questions about finrot

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was just reading that finrot can progress the to body and appears as white patches. Is this correct?

If so I could be considering ich treatment for no reason. :/

That just helped a lot. ;)

I don't see any fish suffering from Ich then, but I know i have at least 4 suffering from Fin Rot. :(

I'm treating with a combination of MelaFix and PimaFix 1tspn per 10G every 24 hours.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Use strong malachite green solution (100mg/ litre) and this should cure the fungus, also raise the temp to 82f for the duration of treatment.

Hi ddreams

Just put an answer on your previous post, which if ich is no longer a problem then the answer is not relevant. :D

Wolf has quoted to use malachite green

Use strong malachite green solution (100mg/ litre) and this should cure the fungus, also raise the temp to 82f for the duration of treatment.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong (i'm sure they will) but I have read the following about these product on more than one occasion, so if you do use it be careful and watch your parameters. :/

Treatments whitch use Malachite Green and Methylene Blue can be useful treatments for parasites and Fungus, unfortunately they can destroy our beneficial bacteria (I found this as an example here

Hope the melafix works for your fish :rolleyes:

EDIT - sorry link does not work - but I have found another quote that might be helpful

They exert a mild anti-bacterial effect and in most circumstances will not destroy biological filtration bacteria, although they may ‘knock the filter back’ for a short while. However, it is still advisable to turn off or by-pass the filter system for a few hours if possible and as with any treatment always turn off any UV lamps. When using to treat against Ichthyophthirius (white spot or Ich) then it is important to keep the system running in order to destroy all stages of the parasite’s life cycle.

Again there are always different opinions out there - My policy is check it out thoroughly before your use it :D

Ich Away is .075% Malachite Green.

I dosed with that and MelaFix/PimaFix yesterday then later, after reading that it was safe to do, I dosed again with the MelaFix/PimaFix.

All of the fish but one guppy female are more active today and appear to be doing better. I'm going to dose again with the MelaFix/PimaFix and hold off on the Ich Away because of what I have read in various places regarding Malachite Green. :/

What the fish have does not appear to be ich, it appears to be Fin and Tail Rot which Melafix/PimaFix treats. I will keep everyone updated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back