Question: What can I replace filter cartridges with in a power filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bluegiraffes

Reaction score
I have a Petco power filter and I've been having some trouble finding the right sized cartridges. Is there a cheaper, more readily available alternative? I've seen a lot of different "cut to fit" filter foam online so can I cut them into the correct size put those into the power filter?

I have a Petco power filter and I've been having some trouble finding the right sized cartridges. Is there a cheaper, more readily available alternative? I've seen a lot of different "cut to fit" filter foam online so can I cut them into the correct size put those into the power filter?

Yes. Many do this regularly, as it is considerably less expensive than the specific replacement cartridges, and generally foam (like sponges or wool) provides good mechanical and bacterial filtration which is usually all you really need. Any chemical filtration achieved by the cartridges (if they contain carbon or other media) is not usually necessary.

The foam or sponge can be rinsed weekly during the partial water change, and only needs replacement if it wears to the point that it no longer provides the surface area. This can be years. Once the foam or sponge begins to "lose shape" so it no longer provides good blockage of the water and the water can get around it, it is not doing anything and can be replaced.

Yes. Many do this regularly, as it is considerably less expensive than the specific replacement cartridges, and generally foam (like sponges or wool) provides good mechanical and bacterial filtration which is usually all you really need. Any chemical filtration achieved by the cartridges (if they contain carbon or other media) is not usually necessary.

The foam or sponge can be rinsed weekly during the partial water change, and only needs replacement if it wears to the point that it no longer provides the surface area. This can be years. Once the foam or sponge begins to "lose shape" so it no longer provides good blockage of the water and the water can get around it, it is not doing anything and can be replaced.
Thanks for the help! I'll be picking up some filter foam right away :)

I love sponge filters so much my next tank will have a Hamburg Matten filter.

1514602478896-1865335693.jpg
I'm using poly fill in everything

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back