Question re: filter media in Fluval AquaClear 50

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Normally, I stack a fluval filter pad (like sponge filter), a bag of biomax bio rings, and another Fluval filter pad in the media basket. (I also have a pre-filter sponge on the intake tube.)

Question: I've removed one of the Fluval filter pads to allow room for a bag of activated carbon in order to remove some of the tannins in the water, and I've just placed that sponge pad in the aquarium. Will the bio organisms on the sponge filter be ok for a few days like this?

Yes, they will be totally fine. (Assuming the sponge is kept moist and the tank is well oxygenated)

I agree it should be fine! That is funny, that is exactly how I have my AquaClear 20. Filter sponge, bio max, filter sponge, and a pre filter sponge!

(Also, if you ever need to replace your pre filter sponge, the Fluval Edge Pre Filter sponge fits perfect, and doesn’t take up too much extra space)

The easiest way to remove tannins is by doing a big water change.

The easiest way to remove tannins is by doing a big water change.
Or, using filter floss, and changing it out daily, in an ESTABLISHED tank.
Carbon will do very little to remove tannins.

OP, I no longer use the sponges in my 6 AC filters, I just use poly batting from Walmart, cut into appropriate sizes for each filter, on the bottom of the media basket, then fill the rest of the media compartment with bagged ceramic media...change out the batting weekly with a fresh piece, and rinse the ceramic media in old tank water, during water chnages. Those plastic mesh bags you get from the grocery store when buying produce, Butterball turkeys, etc work great for making extra bags of ceramic media, just use a zip-tie on each end of the bag to close it off.

Below, the batting I buy (it has to be 100% poly, no added chemicals), and the extra ceramic media that I use...no more messy sponges to deal with

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHSG5M/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back