Question about spade tails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

basilsoda7

Reaction score
Hey! I've been looking a lot into keeping bettas over the last month, and spade tails in particular really caught my eye. I did a bit of poking around, and it seems like they're pretty uncommon? I'm curious as to if there is a particular reason why they aren't bred (like health issues or trouble swimming), or if they're just really rare. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

can't help with the fish coz I have never heard of a spade tail :(
however, others might be able to offer more info.

Hey! I've been looking a lot into keeping bettas over the last month, and spade tails in particular really caught my eye. I did a bit of poking around, and it seems like they're pretty uncommon? I'm curious as to if there is a particular reason why they aren't bred (like health issues or trouble swimming), or if they're just really rare. Thank you!
Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Spade tails are rather rare because of their tail shape, no issues as far as gentics or swimming goes. The tail shape is usually only found in wild bettas, and therefor, it's more work for breeders to breed out strains with the spade tail shape.

Here is an example of a spade tail Betta @Colin_T, quite remarkable.
1651027050970.png

Spade tails are rather rare because of their tail shape, no issues as far as gentics or swimming goes. The tail shape is usually only found in wild bettas, and therefor, it's more work for breeders to breed out strains with the spade tail shape.

View attachment 158706
I like this photo reminds me of a crescent betta (imbellis)

View attachment 158706
Oh huh! That is really interesting, thank you so much!

Oh huh! That is really interesting, thank you so much!
No problem! Hope you manage to get one. :fish:

Edit: You might be able to go to your LFS and see if they can order one for you. If that doesn’t work, you’ll probably have to order it online.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back