Question About Clown Loaches

nmcturner

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Metro Detroit
Everywhere that I read about Clown Loaches says that they need ENORMOUS tanks.

I don't doubt that this is probably true, but I am wondering why this, and why people feel so strongly about this one fish in particular.

It seems to me that they would have the same housing requirements as any other tropical fish.

I am not trying to start an argument, I am just looking for the reasoning on why this fish seems to need such a gigantic environment.

Thank you for shedding some light on this for me.

-Nick
 
I think the issue with clown loaches, common plecs, silver sharks and any of relatively peaceful species is that the are sold as 2-3 inch juvis and are shown by LFS in tanks with other small community species, leading the consumer to treat them all the same.

in reality your question could be changed to any of the following;

Everywhere that I read about Common plecs says that they need ENORMOUS tanks. - why
Everywhere that I read about Oscars says that they need ENORMOUS tanks. - why
Everywhere that I read about Goldfish says that they need ENORMOUS tanks - why

but you will still find someone asking them even when the answer is quite simple

big fish need big tanks?

you wouldn't keep a Great Dane in the same conditions as a Chihuahua
 
Yes, clown loaches, can grow to over a foot long! This means that a tank needs adequate width as well as length and depth in order for the fish to be able to swim and turn around easily in a tank, rather than being hemmed in and unable to swim about freely.

They do take years to grow - but if you become attached to your fish it can be upsetting after "X" amount of years to suddenly have to part with a much-loved pet if you cannot accomodate a larger tank.

This is why most of us would say to think ahead of the long-term consequences, rather than buying in haste, saying "oh well, I'll deal with that problem at a future time". Rehoming fish is not always an easy thing to do, either. I had a friend who bought a small plec that grew and grew until its tail touched one end of the tank and its nose touched the other end - it was literally unable to move. Very cruel!! But she had no room in her little flat for a larger tank and despite attempts at rehoming her fish, nobody wanted it because of its size and the size of tank needed for it. One day she phoned and said she'd had to let the fish loose in the Thames! I was appalled - but this is the sort of thing that happens when people buy fish that they cannot cater for on a long-term basis.

Hope that helps in answering your question - Athena
 
Clown loaches in particular because, given half a chance, Joe Bloggs will think 'what a pretty fish' for the bottom of his tank. You can see this effect in the newbie section- it seems a majority of 'I didn't have a cluw what I was doing' crowd do indeed have clown loaches.

It's in the same way that 99% of (non 'proper' fishkeeping) people will have a common plec because they 'needed' something to eat algae, and every shop stocks them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top