Question about changing water parameters & existing beneficial bacteria...

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
so I have horribly hard water in my area, & when I started my tanks I used softened water from my whole house softener... tanks have been running for about a year... ( poor fishies ) anyway I'm in the process of blending in RO water, to the existing aquarium water, & continually testing the water parameters each 5 gallon of water change...

I realize if I did this too quickly it could effect my fish... but I'm also wondering about how my beneficial bacteria is going to be effected by a wide swing in the water ( a good portion of these tanks were soft water fish, & while my GH, in my tanks, having come from the softener have only been between 25 & 50... the KH & PH have been extremely high, assuming from the salt ions from the softener... after 4 - 5 gallon bucket water changes, with a day or two between them, finally those high numbers are starting to move...

so how is my BB going to react to these changes in the water???

Last edited:
If the tank is a year old the bio film should be established enough to help protect the bacteria. Of course there ARE PH levels that can kill good bacteria but they can deal with a pretty wide spread.

The real question is what fish do you have and what PH they like.

You say that the tank is a year old and I take it that the fish are doing fine. Research your fish and find their PH range and, if it fits with your water, don't fix what isn't broken.

Sorryā€¦ not a rookie hereā€¦ been through all thatā€¦ my water is so alkaline ( this whole area isā€¦ Iā€™m a boiler operator, and trying to deal with the extreme alkaline water at workā€¦ right now I have my boiler chemical guy stumped ) any way, I got a lesson here on house softened water, and Iā€™m trying to fix it nowā€¦ even at 50% RO water on a 45 gallon tank,right now, my alkalinity is still as high as I can testā€¦ so my softer water fish ( typically like low ph ) that 45 still tests at 8.4 Ph, even though the GH is at 25 right now, which should be soft

Since Iā€™m likely in uncharted waters right now ( not even sure if ā€œnormalā€ BB grows at over 8 Ph ) Iā€™m not really worried about the ammonia, Iā€™m doing a water change every other day, with RO to try to get the numbers close to where they should be

The beneficial filter bacteria will be fine with the change in water chemistry. They reproduce several times a day and will go through multiple generations between each water change and will adapt easily.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back