Question About Bichir

ballons

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all i wanted to ask about bichir. Im kinda new about this thing. I just want to how much time should i feed eat per day. Also, the best food for bichir and btw i dont know about my bichir type. So if anyone have any experience in keeping a bichir, let me know it. Thanks guy :)

garyspence84

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Bichir will eat just about anything. I kept them before and he went totally bonkers for blood worm and prawns, and the odd we bit of raw mince. Although that made a right old mess of my tank haha

Edit...

And earth worms! Cleaned 1st obv :lol:

OP
ballons

ballons

Reaction score
so u just feed them once per day? i mean for a juvenile bichir..

garyspence84

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Once a day should be fine. But if your feeding twice a day, just cut your portions down a bit so you don't end up either o we feeding, or making a mess of your tank with all the excess food.

Try both ways and see what works out best :good:

gasmask

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi.
It all depends on what type of Bichir we are talking about.
Smaller upper jaw or bigger lower jaw?

My biggest Bichir is a 70cm P. Bichir Bichir. She is fed every other day mainly with Hikari "massivore" pellets combined with small crab, shrimp and occasional fresh beef heart.
My smallest Bichir is a 28cm P. Senegalus. He is fed every day on Hikari "massive" combined with cut up bits of shrimp.

Avoid bloodworms if the bichir is bigger than 5". It isn't a great meal at that size. (at that size Hikari "carnivore" pellets are best)

Stay away from live food, oily fish and wild caught critters.
Pellets as a staple is best for Bichirs.

OP
ballons

ballons

Reaction score
hehe, thx for the info guys.. really appreciated it. Btw, im giving my endlicheri some slice of chicken meat. He was 5" already i think..

Tylerg

Reaction score
I also have a question, I have a palamas species and he seems to hang around the top of the tank near the filter and heater, when he/she is not doing that it is laying around, now are these creatures very active, does it depend on whether or not it is day or night.