Question About Ammonia Test

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

heikki

Reaction score
hello

I have a Sera Ammonium/Ammonia test.

From what I understand from its instructions, it really measures ammonium (NH4), and using the provided chart relating your measured values and your pH, you can guestimate the actual ammonia (NH3) levels.

From the order of magnitude of covered test values (0 - 10 mg/l) and those estimated NH3 levels (about 0.0003 - 3.6, depending on your measurement result and your pH), it looks to me that when people speak of e.g. "5ppm ammonia" to start a fishless cycle, they really mean ammonium (NH4), not ammonia (NH3). Is this correct ?

As as an aside, I'm not very content with this Sera test, as it has only 5 color shades to compare your result, with e.g. nothing between 1mg/l and 5 mg/l. Do you know of a (not too expensive) ammonia test that has a more precise result indicator ?

thanks
heikki doeleman

btw those Sera instructions can be seen here: http://www.akvarista.cz/web/shop/docs/00020.pdf.

As far as I understand it, ammonia may be ammonia or ammonium, depending on the pH of the water it's in. I'm sure one of the science boffs will be along behind me to give a better explanation. Ammonium is supposedly less toxic, but by no means non-toxic.

The API test is what most of us use around here. It measures both ammonia and ammonium. I think it only has 5 or 6 colours (that I can remember), but it is accurate enough.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back