Quarenteening.. Something I Have Never Quite Got

AdAndrews

Marine Enthusiast!
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
3,008
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kidderminster, Worcs
I have never quarenteened new purchases, becuase i didnt really know that much about it, or justify spending the extra for something i couldnt belive that worked.. however despite excellent water quality every so often after stocking(usually about 4 months) some of the fish develop diseases, no physical signs, well until about a day of them dying, but i figure this is some sort of a viral infection>>>? can someone please explain how qt tanks work, as i have a spare filter(even if it is a smidge small) and a spare heater atm..

thanks guys
 
basically

If you buy a fish from someone or from a LFS; and you want to double check its fine you put it in the QT tank; and see how it gets along!

its like the first line of action; if it is infected you treat it before it goes into the main tank, it also can stop you using meds in your main tank.
 
basically

If you buy a fish from someone or from a LFS; and you want to double check its fine you put it in the QT tank; and see how it gets along!

its like the first line of action; if it is infected you treat it before it goes into the main tank, it also can stop you using meds in your main tank.


but if you had whitespot for example in the main tank, the cysts live in the substrate, so surely you would still have to med the main tank?
 
basically

If you buy a fish from someone or from a LFS; and you want to double check its fine you put it in the QT tank; and see how it gets along!

its like the first line of action; if it is infected you treat it before it goes into the main tank, it also can stop you using meds in your main tank.


but if you had whitespot for example in the main tank, the cysts live in the substrate, so surely you would still have to med the main tank?


What you mean?, youve just said about buying fish?, not current fish you have already got.

QT tank is mainly for new arrivals, as bagu said as a precaution so you dont put possible ill fish with your current stock of healthy fish. other people use QT tanks as a monitoring tank.. ie. if 1 fish looks particulary ill, move it over an monitor better it may just be a doomed fish, it may be an ill fish.

Others also move damaged fish like scrapes marks make by accidnts and treating them in a smaller QT tank is not only cheaper with less meds but safe guards other fish picking on it, or again as bagu says not treating a fullt main tank unesserarily.
 
if you have whitespot in the main tank, then ofc you have to treat the main tank =]

thnx JenCliBee :)
 
I must admit I dont quaranteen my fish as I get them all from the same shop and they are excellant quality, however I do have a spare tank which I use as a hospital tank for sick or injured fish that require treating for ailments that do not affect the main tank (cuts and scrapes). Its just easier to monitor the injured fish in a smaller tank without having to hunt for it in the main tank. The other plus is its cheaper to medicate a smaller tank rather than a large one.

JMO
 
I always put my fish in a holding tank now. I bought a bn pleco that looked fine. But a 5 days I had ich in the tank. I have fish in a holding tank right now. In fact I lost 4 out of 7 cory cats. With in a week of being fine they started to become weak and sick.

You should QT fish for a month to be safe 2 weeks is ok. You just watch your new fish for weeks I change the water daily about 10-20%. In hope if they are sick the clean water will help. Unless you know the shop you buy from holds all fish before selling you should always QT your fish you don't know where the fish are comming from
.
 
Sorry to jump on this thread AdAndrews, but cvan I ask a Q too? What do you do for a filter on these tanks? You can't leave it running with no fish in the tank as the bacs would die. Do you clone as and when needed? Or keep the Q filter running in the main tank all the time?
 
Do you clone as and when needed? Or keep the Q filter running in the main tank all the time?

Either will work just fine.

And, you don't even need an actual tank, food safe plastic containers (like storage containers) work just fine. They aren't as clear as glass, but are much cheaper and easier to store, you just have to make sure the heater doesn't come into contact with the sides. :good:
 
thanks guys, for the filter thing, i would probably just get some media out of my bigger filter and use that, and put it back in when finished.. im still undecided whether to set one up, i will have a think about it the next few days :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top