Q's on eels?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've seen a few topics in magazines, forums, ect. about eels lately. What type of freshwater eels are there and how big of a tank do they need? Can they be kept in community tanks or do they need to be on their own? What do they eat? THanks.
-Josh

Most eels are large predatory and aggressive so are not recomended for normal community tanks, the freshwater species you are most likely to find in lfs are fire eels tyretrack eels and peacock eels but there are many more species that are not so commonly seen,eels are best fed on live foods such as bloodworms earthworms and shrimps.

How big do they usually get? How big of a tank would I need? Thanks.
-Josh

I've covered this subject before - I'll see if I can find the link;

Info on Spiny Eels

Peacock Eels are good for community aquaria with medium sized Tetras or Barbs etc. :)

Ive got a rubber eel/worm. They're not true eels, but its close enough for me with out the ugly teeth! He eats the same as everyones been sayin, ie:live worms, shrimp, etc... They are blind and hilarious to watch eat! Takes him forever to find the worm on the ground, passing over it several times before finally honing in on its exact loaction! :lol: Its quite frustrating and I often find myself cheering for him and shouting out directions! :*) :D Theres not a lot of info out there about them tho. :/ I think they can get up to 18", or stay as small as 8". And they're freshwater. Ask around about em if this species interests you. :thumbs:

I have two spiny eels which I keep in a 29 gallon tank with several species of shark and two algae eaters. They seem to be happy enough, and the other fish don't bother them, but then the only time they come out is at night. During the day they bury themselves (even though we have two different hiding places provided) in the gravel, having usually only their snouts out. (I think they think they can't be seen! :lol: ) But they are really fun to watch when they do swim around. Mine are about four inches long and we also feed them tubifex worms (in addition to the blood worms and tropical fish food) I highly recommend getting one as they are fun to watch.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back