Python Gravel Cleaner - care and maintenance (black mould in hose)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sparkyjf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased (admittedly second hand from ebay) a Python Gravel Cleaner. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it seems to work really well and I'm loving it.

On thing troubles me - it looks like it stood around for a while, presumably damp, before the ebay seller sold it, and there is black mould here and there inside the hose. Two questions occur to me:

1. Is this mould harmful to the fish/tank? Not on draining I'm thinking as the water is coming out, but on filling I could see that it's possible for traces to enter.
2. Assuming it's a bad thing (and normally mould is not normally a good thing in most circumstances), is there any way to clean the Python hose? I can imagine there are many chemicals that could clean it out, but I'd be worried about flushing all traces of them out of the Python and ensuring I don't simply create a new problem!

Does anyone out there know what the proper care/maintenance of a Python cleaner is? I naturally want to prevent this from recurring, though with it in use weekly I doubt it will be an issue.

Thanks everyone!

J

It'll be hard to get the current mold out, but to prevent more do this.

When you are done filling, switch the adapter back to the drain setting and run water. As you wind up the hose, it'll pull most of the water out of the hose and it can be stowed until next time.

The black mould inside the hose is actually pretty normal.

I got this in my diy python hose no matter what tbh.

To clean it, I would stuff inside some cloth or sponge material and use the pressure of the water from tap to push the cloth/sponge around the hose, have to repeat that a few times until satisfied the hose is clean a enough. Never got it 100% clean, maybe 90-95% clean, which is good enough.

Never used any cleaning chemicals or anything of the sort, just clean cloth or sponge and water.

Even with a small amount of mould inside the hose, never really saw any adverse effects on livestock as presume that using Seachem Prime dechlorinator during refilling the tank helped to bind any harmful residues that was in the water column in the tank.

When I had ich, I cleaned mine with bleach and water. I made it pretty strong too. Mixed the bleach and water in a bucket and let run through the hose. Afterwards, rinse very well and then add triple dose of Prime to the water and let it run through. Did this daily for 3 weeks and no problem for fish or Python.

Diluted bleach is probably your best option. After you clean it with the bleach, run a couple of doses of water conditioner down the tube. This will help get rid of any chlorine/bleach that could have been left over.

+3 on a bleach/water solution. I use a Python hose attached to a submersible (Ecoplus 396) pump for water changes. Even though I drain the hose after each use, there is enough remaining moisture so that in time, mold develops. So periodically I'll mix bleach and water in a 5g bucket and pump the solution round and round until the hose is clean. I flush with fresh water and let air dry. Chlorine readily dissipates so I don't bother treating with a dechlorinator.

Oops... sorry, really didn't mean to copy you. :blush:

I suggested bleach, after following @AdoraBelle Dearheart's thread. I learned in that thread, that bleach was indeed safe, after adding some water conditionor.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back