Psychology to allow for MTS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's so odd that animal-people don't get together. There always seems to be one person in each couple that has to be talked-into getting animals. My husband tries to put the breaks on me and the kids but he's a softer-sell than he likes to think he is. He talks tough and swears "no more animals!" and before you know it, we have another animal. Right now, in addition to fish, we have a cat, dog, bearded dragon, and as of tomorrow, we'll have pet mice. I think my poor husband at this point is probably looking back fondly at the days when all I had was MTS. 😆
When I met my wife I had a cat. My ex had him but didn't want him anymore so I took him. My (soon to be) wife HATED cats when I met her. So, of course, he cuddled right up to her. Six months later she found out she was VERY allergic to them. I suggested we find a new home for the cat and you would have thought I told her I was going to kill her mother LOL. She went through a few years of weekly allergy shots to keep him and our coolestdogeverintheworld Honey- a Carolina Dog (only native US breed) that we got from a jail dog program.

We lost Honey after 15 years, but we still have 2 cats. It's just the fishies she's having trouble with. I have suggested a bird too, but she's not into that (and I'm not sure I would be either, honestly). Wonder if I should let her pet the catfish? :kana: :kana:

A lot of people find fish gross or disturbing. I have heard "ewww, slimy" several times, and they weren't discussing me. My thought has always been "You aren't supposed to touch fish!"

I've heard people say they are disturbing because they live in an alien world. The idea seems to really bother some people, in ways I don't understand at all.

I look at fish and find their strange world interesting. I like dogs, other mammals, birds, reptiles, and feel a great responsibility to stay alive so the billions of bacteria that think I'm a planet don't get let down. I admit, the bond I have with my dog is radically different to how I feel with other pets.

My wife grew up in a zero pet household, with a Mom who claimed to hate dogs and cats (she lives with us now and has mutated into a dog lover). She still looks at the fish with an absolute lack of interest, and that'll never change.

When I met my wife I had a cat. My ex had him but didn't want him anymore so I took him. My (soon to be) wife HATED cats when I met her. So, of course, he cuddled right up to her. Six months later she found out she was VERY allergic to them. I suggested we find a new home for the cat and you would have thought I told her I was going to kill her mother LOL. She went through a few years of weekly allergy shots to keep him and our coolestdogeverintheworld Honey- a Carolina Dog (only native US breed) that we got from a jail dog program.

We lost Honey after 15 years, but we still have 2 cats. It's just the fishies she's having trouble with. I have suggested a bird too, but she's not into that (and I'm not sure I would be either, honestly). Wonder if I should let her pet the catfish? :kana: :kana:
I must say, I would probably like your wife. Anyone who suffers through allergies for the sake of a pet is likely a good sort! :)

A lot of people find fish gross or disturbing. I have heard "ewww, slimy" several times, and they weren't discussing me. My thought has always been "You aren't supposed to touch fish!"

I've heard people say they are disturbing because they live in an alien world. The idea seems to really bother some people, in ways I don't understand at all.
Some people are weird. And not in the good, interesting-quirky way. Just in the no-imagination/lack of curiosity way.

When we adopted an elderly cat I discovered I was allergic to him, but half an antihistamine tablet a day was enough to control the symptoms. There was no way I would have rehomed him just because I coughed, sneezed and had swollen eyes. One of his previous owners did rehome him when they realised their child's symptoms were caused by the cat. Yes, one of his previous owners, we think we were the fourth, maybe more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back