Pseudomugil furcatus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi! sorry I don't know if this thread is in the correct place or not. I saw some Pseudomugil furcatus at my LFS today and they were stunning! I fell in love with them and started researching them. I haven't figured out a few things though. Would they do well in a 10 gallon tank? If so how many could I keep? It would be planted with driftwood. Based on what I have found about them they are ok in hard water? I'm not 100% sure though. I don't remember the PH, KH, or GH of my water but I know that last time I got it tested at my LFS it was hard water suitable for Live bearers. I will check with my water provider this Monday though since I can't find it on their page. Any information on these little guys would be great! Thanks in advance!

According to SF the Pseudomugil gertrudae will handle harder water than the forktail.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

Thank you. I looked on Seriouslyfish.com and it has a lot of helpful information. My tank is 13.9 inches by 13.1 inches.
Thatā€™s a bit small for the only ones I could find that would suit my 30ā€x12ā€ tank and 19dh water:
m. Ladigesi
p. Furcatus
p. Tennulus
p. Cyanodorsalis
The latter could handle the smallest tank and that even that was 18ā€ according to SF.com.. I researched for months as well due to lockdown tank ordering/delivering issues as well.
@Colin_T knows an excellent rainbowfish site which Iā€™ve lost and heā€™d be the poster to ask if thereā€™s anything suitable for a small tank. Best of luck.

Colin's rainbowfish website
The rainbowfish website that Colin_T links to

Edited to remove the misleading implication that the website is Colin's rather than one he often gives links to.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back