Protecting snails during a deworming cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have recently bought a trio of guppies, and have some noticed the predicted white stringy poop. The new fish are already showing signs of environmental stress that I have treated with phenoxyethanol and water changes. My tank was cycled, planted, mature and had no fish in before adding them. My ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 2.5. As the tank was ready and I didn’t have a seasoned filter or empty tank for a quarantine they went straight in. Now I am contemplating worming them after the phenoxyethanol course is complete. I have Esha gdex which is snail safe when dosed correctly. Do I also need to use something with levamisole for roundworm? Or can I just treat for fluke and tapeworm.
The tank with the new fish has 3 nerite snails and an assassin snail, I could remove these to treat the tank. My other tanks are more problematic because they are full of snails and one is destined for shrimp. Anything that kills off the snail population is going to cause a huge ammonia problem as so many are buried in the substrate.

My options are

-Just treat the new fish in their tank and remove the snails to another tank while it happens.

-Remove fish to a quarantine tank for treatment now that I have a spare seasoned filter running in a healthy tank that I can use. There are now fry which are unlikely to survive a bare tank.

-only treat with praziquantel which is probably snail safe and hope they don’t have roundworm.

-Not treat at all while the fish are eating happily and lively.

If you want to treat for round worms, use eSHa ndx as that contains levamisole. They say it is safe for inverts.

If you want to treat for round worms, use eSHa ndx as that contains levamisole. They say it is safe for inverts.
Thanks. My brief investigation seemed to say that Ndx wasn’t snail safe, but rechecking that’s in marine tanks and the Esha website states it should be safe if dosed correctly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back