Proposed USA regulations ending fish keeping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This whole bill looks like it is set up because of covid. Reading between the lines, they are nervous that a virus in the future may be spread via an animal and they want the power to stop the movements of animals across the borders inside the US

Animals are catching and dying from it. I'm not sure about the Spanish Flu a century ago doing more than originate at a pig farm. Wild animals that died back then probably never were examined.

I signed it, though I don't know how much weight signatures from Canadians will have with US lawmakers.
about the same as people from Australia :)

-----------------------
The problem with this bill is it's attached to a bill banning shark fins and everything to do with shark fins. Now everybody (with the possible exception of the Chinese) wants to ban shark fin fishing and its related items, including the slow painful death of the sharks. So the politicians are going to vote yes to ban shark fin items.

What needs to happen, is these two bills, that are completely unrelated (except they deal with animals), need to be separate and dealt with separately. Unless they are dealt with on their own terms, this bill could easily go through. Chances are most of the politicians haven't even read the attachment and are simply voting yes on the banning of shark fins and related subjects.

You need to write and phone your local state and federal member of parliament and tell them you think it is wrong and needs to be dealt with separately. Write to the press as well. There have been news articles on the subject and it needs much more coverage to make sure everyone in the country is aware of what might happen if this bill goes through. Maybe even call the radio stations and talk about it on air.

Last edited:
the thing is, America Competes is a huge bill, and this is just a small part of it. from reading the table of contents, It's mostly foreign relations and support for the nation's industries, It's either clumsy law making, or very underhanded. Conservation is good, no doubt, but I can't think of any group more reasonably conservation minded than the exotics hobby, and destroying it will also destroy one of the most productive assets to the conservation effort. I'm not sure if animal rights is involved, but I wouldn't doubt it, the "look but don't touch" mentality that Peta and Co. cultivate is counterproductive and occasionally silly. Please raise awareness and get it out there that this bill is problematic and unnecessary, contact senators, print flyers, make posts, etc. (preaching to the choir, I know).

- edited for punct. and typos.

Good news folks !

Attachments

• strike.jpg
    strike.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 82
What it means is someone either read the entire bill or someone brought it to his attention. He moved to strike that portion that would have damaged the hobby the most. It is most unlikely that it will be added back in . I have many friends that are keeping track of the bill.

What it means is someone either read the entire bill or someone brought it to his attention. He moved to strike that portion that would have damaged the hobby the most. It is most unlikely that it will be added back in . I have many friends that are keeping track of the bill.
It says submitted, was the motion to strike passed before the vote to pass the Bill?

Senate hasn't voted yet.
I realize that, but the pic above was from the House Rules Cmte. If the Strike did not pass prior to the House vote, then it is in the Senate Bill, unless Senate passes a similar amendment to strike it.

My title for this thread is intended to catch attention, but the issue is very serious for the hobby. Several weeks back I posted about proposed bylaws in some Canadian cities that, if passed, could end the keeping of aquarium fishes. In the current edition of Amazonas there is a report of proposed legislation before the Congress that will/could have much the same result. Here's a citation, followed by the link to the full article.

The definition of “wildlife” covers almost every animal, no matter how many generations it may be removed from its wild counterparts, with very few exceptions aside from dogs and cats. The consequences for reptile and amphibian keepers, bird owners, aquarists, and other pet owners if the COMPETES Act passes will be severe. This means every reptile, amphibian, arachnid, bird, fish, coral, and invertebrate will be subject to the new restrictions, whether captive bred, ranched, farmed, aquacultured, maricultured, or collected from a wild source or fishery. With more than 10,000 species of birds, reptiles, amphibians, arachnids, fish, corals, and invertebrates kept by hobbyists and in trade, it is likely only a small fraction of species would initially be able to overcome the onerous listing process on the “White List.”​

I didn’t read the reply’s so I apologize upfront if this is a repeat. The last thing a politician will get passed into law is something else that would take away from the economy. Also, it it did pass, you would have what we are seeing from Hawaii with the Tangs. Black market and more Tangs dying during capture and shipments than one could imagine. If Hawaii was going to ban this practice, they needed to be prepared for the black market and not the legal captures. The legal captures would hopefully care more about the environment and the treatment of fish than the black market. Thats all I have for this one.

I didn’t read the reply’s so I apologize upfront if this is a repeat. The last thing a politician will get passed into law is something else that would take away from the economy. Also, it it did pass, you would have what we are seeing from Hawaii with the Tangs. Black market and more Tangs dying during capture and shipments than one could imagine. If Hawaii was going to ban this practice, they needed to be prepared for the black market and not the legal captures. The legal captures would hopefully care more about the environment and the treatment of fish than the black market. Thats all I have for this one.
Have you heard of prohibition?

My title for this thread is intended to catch attention, but the issue is very serious for the hobby. Several weeks back I posted about proposed bylaws in some Canadian cities that, if passed, could end the keeping of aquarium fishes. In the current edition of Amazonas there is a report of proposed legislation before the Congress that will/could have much the same result. Here's a citation, followed by the link to the full article.

The definition of “wildlife” covers almost every animal, no matter how many generations it may be removed from its wild counterparts, with very few exceptions aside from dogs and cats. The consequences for reptile and amphibian keepers, bird owners, aquarists, and other pet owners if the COMPETES Act passes will be severe. This means every reptile, amphibian, arachnid, bird, fish, coral, and invertebrate will be subject to the new restrictions, whether captive bred, ranched, farmed, aquacultured, maricultured, or collected from a wild source or fishery. With more than 10,000 species of birds, reptiles, amphibians, arachnids, fish, corals, and invertebrates kept by hobbyists and in trade, it is likely only a small fraction of species would initially be able to overcome the onerous listing process on the “White List.”​

I don't live in the US but I feel horrible.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back