Problem with the Aquaclear 70 not snapping into position - any secret trick?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have nothing but Aquaclear filers 20, 50's and 70's - regardless of the filter I always fight snapping in that U tube so that it's level and the lid can fit on flat - if that doesn't happen the tube won't cover the impeller and the filter won't work. A few lucky times they've just snapped into place but I've had 4 filters for over 1 1/2 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I didn't spend 10 minutes to an hour messing with it. This time after hours of messing with it - it won't lay level so I have no filter. I'm beyond frustrated with this constant problem. I've even broken parts trying to get the U-tube to lay level - other than that it's an awesome filter but I dread filter cleaning item.

Is there a special trick I didn't read about to get that U-tube to sit flat on the impeller and allowing the lid to sit flat as well? About to go out of my mind.

I have issues with them too. I love the filter but sometimes it gives me fits. No answer for you, just with you on it.

Before snapping the u-tube in place, you should raise the tube a bit so it doesn't hit the final seating area. once clicked in places, then lower the tube in the proper area above the impeller and then adjust flow using the projection on top of the tube. I always prime the filter before restarting by filling it with tank water.

Use the little 3 sided piece to level the filter...or you can use wood strips or other item between the filter and the tank to help level it.

Last edited:
Got it fixed. No reason why, just suddenly snapped into place - I knew it was in the fit of the tubing but this time it had pulled off the plastic cap over the impeller just a little tiny bit (probably because I was taking it on and off so much) - so I reseated that, reseated the tubing and it all worked. Good on me, but it doesn't explain the frequent problems I have with getting the tubing level, it's just "one more possibility". I still have hair left good thing I have a lot of extra.

Before snapping the u-tube in place, you should raise the tube a bit so it doesn't hit the final seating area. once clicked in places, then lower the tube in the proper area above the impeller and then adjust flow using the projection on top of the tube. I always prime the filter before restarting by filling it with tank water.

Use the little 3 sided piece to level the filter...or you can you wood strips or other item between the filter and the tank to help level it.
Another good idea. I usually have the the filter primed, but sometimes not just so I can hear that joyful sound of the filter starting up. It would help if I was taller, even with a stepstool I have to "lower the tube in the proper area" by feel rater than by sight. If I could see where it was and what the angle was it would help a lot.

Any what DOES everybody think of that piece of red plastic used to tip the filter forward and back? Does it even look like something that would work (I know it does work but REALLY???) I've lost them temporarily before and wadded up some newspaper and it worked just as well and you can get an exact angle.

Thanks for your help and DeanSue - thanks for commiserating with me. I'm going to try to be consistent about my assembly and testing and see if I can find a solution that works for me.

The intake tube/ pipe is not meant to be snapped into place. You slide it into the gap from above the filter.

The levelling device does work and is needed on most tanks to make sure the filter is level. If the filter is not level, then water can flow out the back of the filter onto the floor.

If the water level in the tank is lower than the filter's motor, it will have more problems sucking water up and working.

Most reactions

Back