Problem with Kuhli loach quarantine

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kbfish

Reaction score
I bought 4 tiny kuhli loaches today to add to the 6 I already had. When i say tiny i mean TINY—maybe 3/4 inch long and a millimeter or 2 thick and i have a marineland 5 gallon that i use as a quarantine. It has a back panel to hide the filter with some holes in it that i covered with mesh, BUT they still seem to get stuck in the back. I’m really worried that they will get sucked up into the filter and die since i can’t see them.

Should i leave them in the 5 gallon or add them to the 20 long that only has a couple pygmy corys and 6 adult kuhli loaches?

it depends on how long you have had them for? If you have had them in the tank for a week or more and they have shown no signs of disease, then add them to the display tank.

if you have only had them for a day or two, then perhaps put them in a breeding net in the quarantine tank and wait a week.

khuli loaches are usually pretty good tho and don't carry a lot of diseases so you could add them to the display if you don't have any other options.

I only got them today, but i know the fish store has had them for at least a week now. The breeding box is a really good idea that i hadn’t thought of before thank you!

Use a sponge filter in the Q tank. If you dont have one just put them in the tank.

I have 30 of the little boogers, its never a dull moment

then perhaps put them in a breeding net
Yes lets frighten the daylights out of an already shy fish by keeping it someplace it dont like.
And

LOL at putting Kuhlis in a breeder net, like they will stay there for long without the net having some sort of tight fitting cover, Kuhlis are great escape artists.

This is not my video but it gives you an idea of what Kuhlis are like.

Seconded - get a sponge filter for the quarantine tank. You probably have to buy it online, though. Chain pet stores don't carry them and I haven't seen them in my local fish stores. In the meantime, you might be able to put a sponge around the filter intake.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back