Problem with corys flashing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That second video, where the bronze cory is floating head up for a few minutes - that has me concerned. Haven't seen any of my cories ever do that.

Long term, there is a problem with your stocking I'm afraid. How large is the tank? You have a mix of hardwater and soft water fish in there, with guppies along with tetra, and I saw a red-tailed or rainbow shark in one of the vids - these tend to become much more territorial and aggressive as they mature, which is bad news for the other fish, especially other bottom dwellers like the cories and pleco.

That second video, where the bronze cory is floating head up for a few minutes - that has me concerned. Haven't seen any of my cories ever do that.

Long term, there is a problem with your stocking I'm afraid. How large is the tank? You have a mix of hardwater and soft water fish in there, with guppies along with tetra, and I saw a red-tailed or rainbow shark in one of the vids - these tend to become much more territorial and aggressive as they mature, which is bad news for the other fish, especially other bottom dwellers like the cories and pleco.
To be fair the bronze hasnt done that since, they all seem fine until the odd twitch and the resting. My first 3 albinos i bought never really rested they zoomed round tank like they were chasing each other lol since adding the new 6 is when everything started to change, iv lost 2 bronze and 1 albino. There is a range of fish in there to be fair (sorry i was new and jumped into it all and trying to make it work i did that fish counter thing online apart from it saying the rainbow shark wasnt compatible every one els was ok but since i have not seen any aggression im just keeping a close eye) I HAVE READ A LOT SINCE THEN BUT DONT HAVE A SEPARATE TANK AND CANT TAKE BACK . my partner bought me the guppies im not a lover he bought 6 females and 5 males all the males died but the females seem to be going good and strong, it seemed the males were eaten i guessed the rainbow but it leaves the females alone. I have had the rainbow for around 8months now he does chase if they go near his log he likes to clean but backs of very fast doesnt nip from what i have seen anyways but i am keeping an eye on him to be fair the pleco seems more aggressive especially were food is. I have a problem of watching them and have never noticed anyone bullying the corys at all they seem to get on really well keeping them selfs to there selfs.

This is the tank

Attachments

• 20220602_190957.jpg
    20220602_190957.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 39
To be fair the bronze hasnt done that since, they all seem fine until the odd twitch and the resting. My first 3 albinos i bought never really rested they zoomed round tank like they were chasing each other lol since adding the new 6 is when everything started to change, iv lost 2 bronze and 1 albino. There is a range of fish in there to be fair (sorry i was new and jumped into it all and trying to make it work i did that fish counter thing online apart from it saying the rainbow shark wasnt compatible every one els was ok but since i have not seen any aggression im just keeping a close eye) I HAVE READ A LOT SINCE THEN BUT DONT HAVE A SEPARATE TANK AND CANT TAKE BACK . my partner bought me the guppies im not a lover he bought 6 females and 5 males all the males died but the females seem to be going good and strong, it seemed the males were eaten i guessed the rainbow but it leaves the females alone. I have had the rainbow for around 8months now he does chase if they go near his log he likes to clean but backs of very fast doesnt nip from what i have seen anyways but i am keeping an eye on him to be fair the pleco seems more aggressive especially were food is. I have a problem of watching them and have never noticed anyone bullying the corys at all they seem to get on really well keeping them selfs to there selfs.
Don't worry, I'm not judging you! It's really, really tricky to get the right balance of fish in a community tank, especially when you're newer to the hobby, and there's a lot of bad advice out there! Even fish stores can be some of the worst for giving terrible stocking advice.
I just wanted you to be aware, since the fish we buy from stores are almost always juveniles, and their behaviours can change as they mature - becoming more aggressive and territorial, and the red tailed and rainbow sharks are known for doing just that. If you do run into problems with him down the road, see if any other fish stores near you will take him, since some will, or you may be able to rehome privately through FB groups or gumtree.
The guppy losses likely weren't your fault or the stocking - guppies are very weak now, not bred very well and arrive from fish farms abroad, often carrying diseases and struggling to adjust to changes in water (some fish farms raise livebearers in brackish water, since they can access sea water for cheaper than fresh) then struggle to adjust to freshwater only. Often carrying worms and diseases too, so losses of guppies is very common now. If you get any fry from them, then the fry are likely to be hardier and live longer than the adults you bought!

Thank you for not judging after reading about every fish in there i know some were a mistake. But i do really like them all and dont want to see any hurt (hopefully the females are not pregnant and dont breed as i dont want them in there) but for now the rest are ok i am concerned about my corys there probs best in there and dont know whats up with them to be able to help. Iv started reading on worms and flukes? Which seems like what they are doing, with you saying guppies do sometimes have worms could my males who died and then past onto my other fish? I did rush into buying some dewormer on amazon other day still waiting for it arrive but i dont want to use it if it doesnt work or it kills them all. il take a photo of what iv bought would you be to advise if its ok to use or if not to use please thank you

Thank you for not judging after reading about every fish in there i know some were a mistake. But i do really like them all and dont want to see any hurt (hopefully the females are not pregnant and dont breed as i dont want them in there) but for now the rest are ok i am concerned about my corys there probs best in there and dont know whats up with them to be able to help. Iv started reading on worms and flukes? Which seems like what they are doing, with you saying guppies do sometimes have worms could my males who died and then past onto my other fish? I did rush into buying some dewormer on amazon other day still waiting for it arrive but i dont want to use it if it doesnt work or it kills them all. il take a photo of what iv bought would you be to advise if its ok to use or if not to use please thank you

No worries, most of us have been there with stocking problems etc, and we were all new to the hobby once! You're doing your best for them, that's what counts. :)

With worming, or any meds really, best not to medicate unless you're sure about what you're treating. Many generic cheaper wormers don't work well, and any medication causes stress to the fish, so can make things worse rather than better. Look for signs of worms in all of the fish. Sometimes worms will protrude from their vent (where they usually poop) and can red and bristle like, like an old paintbrush, or stringy white worms. If fish sometimes so long, stringy white poops, that's a sign of worms. Also fish acting lethargic, getting skinny, or being very bloated can be symptoms. Let me know the brand name of the wormer, and have a read of these threads linked below. But the symptoms you're describing for the cories doesn't sound like worms I'm afraid. More like irritation, perhaps from water quality, or an external parasite like the others talked about above.

This is the product and some of my fish do look bloated to be honest but i do feed a lot some times to but recently i have noticed a few fish with stringy white poop but it doesnt move or anything looks a bit like a skinny empty sack. I have noticed that the harlys seem to yawn or stretch there gills some times to but they dont look red in anyway but they all seem very fat i can them muscle heads they were tiny when i bought them now there massive. And today i have noticed after feeding one of the harlequins anal looks red?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220609-202855_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220609-202855_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 36
This is the product and some of my fish do look bloated to be honest but i do feed a lot some times to but recently i have noticed a few fish with stringy white poop but it doesnt move or anything looks a bit like a skinny empty sack. I have noticed that the harlys seem to yawn or stretch there gills some times to but they dont look red in anyway but they all seem very fat i can them muscle heads they were tiny when i bought them now there massive. And today i have noticed after feeding one of the harlequins anal looks red?

eSHa is a good product, I've used it before.

Can you get some video of the fish please?

I am at work at min so will get a video of the other fish tonight. I have raised my temp to 85f and not seen any corys flashing since. I managed to get a photo of 1 cory this morning in dark but i had to use flash on my camera so dont know if it will show if its velvet or not but i will add that photo now and try get more tonight when lights go off.

Attachments

• 20220610_072838.jpg
    20220610_072838.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 36
I do have a bottle of disease clear by king fisher would that help any of the issues i have?

After reading more on velvet it says they will also be lose of appetite but all my fish are eating fine and are always looking for more. And still no visible white spots for me to think its white spot. I dont clean my actual filter often should i take the full filter out and give iy a good clean all in tank water keeping my old sponges still just rinsing them in tank water? Also i did add some more carbon to my filter the other day should i remove that? Also i raised my temp to 85f how long should i keep my temp at that?

I did not see anything of concern in the videos re flashing. I still think this was ich, and with no stress the fish will deal with it as they do in nature. Do not start using any so-called "treatment" without a clear indication of a disease, as these do more harm than good.

Unfortunately i can not seem to capture them flicking i will keep trying just dont want to loose any more fish

Fish rubbing on objects can be caused by poor water quality or external protozoan parasites.

If the water quality is good, then it's unlikely to be that.

External protozoan parasites include white spot & velvet, which can be treated with heat (30C for a few weeks). And Costia, Chilodonella & trichodina, which can be treated with salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres for a couple of weeks).
You can also use copper or Malachite Green to treat all of these.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back