Problem after problem after problem...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

the_daver

Reaction score
It's been a tragic weekend here. I came home Friday night to find my spotted cory with a severe case of mouth fungus (didn't notice any symptoms the night before), so I ran out to the LFS and bought a couple of packages of FURAN-2 capsules and started treatment immediately. Well, unfortunately the fungus had already done it's damage and the cory dies yesterday afternoon, but I decided to continue the treatment in case there was any remaining fungus (the treatment calls for 4 days and he died on day 2).

As I was tidying up the tank tonight, however, I noticed that my neon tetras (7) and showing signs of both Ich & fin rot! Should I stop the fungus treatment, give it a day with the carbon back in (taken out during treatment), then start an Icn & fin rot treatment (depending on the severity at that time)? Or should I finish the fungus treatment first, which claims to also take care of body slime, eye cloud & furunculosis?

I'm worried that continuing this treatment is actaully helping the other diseases spread by not having any carbon in the filter.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My tank (55 gal):
7 Neon Tetras
2 medium Plecos
2 Dwarf Blue Gouramis
1 M Black Sailfin Molly
1 F Black Molly
1 GreenGold Cory

I never use carbon in my filter. It only works for the first few days anyway and doesn't do anything about nitrite, the primary cause of fish deaths.

Disease outbreaks like this are usually a result of poor water quality. So first things first: what are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. Also temperature). How long has your tank been set up and how often do you do water changes? Have you recently cleaned out the filter or changed anything? Do you vacuum your gravel?

Make sure you are familiar with cycling a tank - follow the link in my sig and read my article if you aren't sure.

Then do a 20% water change, thorough vacuum your gravel (remembering to move tank ornaments) and begin treating the ich. Raise the water temperature to 82F and add an air-stone to help oxygenate the water thoroughly.

Hi,
I'm so sorry for your fish troubles! NEVER guess your fish's pathology and blanket treat fish. Medicines can kill, and should only be used in quarantine situations once you're certain what you're dealing with. Do you own a good water quality test kit? If not, no serious fish keeper (and I KNOW you are!:)) should be without one. This is an example of an excellent cheap test kit so that you can keep your fishes healthy and safe.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NCI/?tag=ff0d01-20

You need to determine where your fish's deadly stress is originating, and even more importantly, why that stress is originating in the first place. Chances are very slim that your problems are due to specifically introduced pathological contagion/s.

How often do you do partial water changes? What temperature is your tank?

Everything is going to be OK!:fish: Please check this out for your fish's sake, *if* you're not already in the know. http://advancedaquariumconcepts.com/how-to-cycle-an-aquarium/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back