Pretty New To Fish And Happy About A Forum!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Its only because he doesnt want me to get hurt or text strangers........ I know he does what is best for me.

Ok you can work with the "No to used" answer.  Walmart has a setup that is not too expensive that includes a lid, light, and filter.  You will still need to get a heater and should get it at the same time so that when you move your boy, you have everything set up for him.  As for the plastic plants, if you can not catch pantyhose on them, they are ok.  I just recommend when you get a bigger setup you get some more plants for him to go along with those.  You can easily pick up silk plants at places like Hobby Lobby.  Just watch for any metal pieces.

Im actually just going to have 2 plastic plants, a moss ball (yay!), and boil some of the hermit crabs tank decor for them. Or get creative and buy cheap things and make something out of them.

Ok. Again, I will get prices on everything first, and then buy all the stuff when I need it, and move him into his new home :D

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11459461&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I think I want this. Just have to buy a heater and filter cartridges. I like how people were saying that the filter doesnt flow too fast :D And I did not realize how expensive heaters are..... can I use a UTH?

Yard Sales are good places to check out for aquarium stuff. It would be safe enough for you too since there would be lots of people around. :)

I forgot about yardsales! My dad got the hermit crab tank, a heating lamp, and a turtle dock for 5 bucks

Ok. I have decided that I wont be getting a 10 gallon tank for a while, and was wondering if I could put some fish with my betta. Or snails or shrimp. He is agressive, and that is why I am scared. But, it will be a 5 gallon tank so its big for him. My plans are a live easy to care for plant that doesnt like to be rooted down, a moss ball, the filed down plastic plants I have now, and I found this big aqaurium peice I forgot I had. Its really big, and has a hole through the middle.

So could I? And how tall is a 5 gallon?

Congrats on getting the petsitting job!
Like has been said, there are some very cheap tanks with most of what you need at walmart.
Heaters are definitely expensive but they're necessary. :p
I would leave the betta in the 5g by himself, maybe get him some snail buddies.

I've never had a tank that small, the smallest I've ever had was a 10 gallon and I only used that as a quarantine tank or a live bearer breeding tank.  But since it's incadecent, it should keep the water warm enough without a heater.  Normally, they don't make heaters for tanks smaller than 10 gallons.  I would be afraid to put a heater in a tank that small.  As long as you don't have it in a drafty place, such as by a window, I think you will be just fine.  

If you don't have broadleaved plants the hammock is a good edition. There are several companies that make heaters small enough for those tanks.

I can't view the last link, but if you mean to get a tank that is heated by the light of the tank cover, that would mean you have to keep the light on all the time. Fish do need a night or dark period though, just like most creatures, and if you turn the lights off the temperature will drop! So no, I would not recommend it.

Regarding the Betta leaf, I wanted to get one at some point in the beginning too, but decided not to because there were reports of the possibility of it leaking lead into the water. I got driftwood instead and tied Java Moss to it!

Firefly tank.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back