Pretty New To Fish And Happy About A Forum!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EllieJellyEllie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello guys! My name is Ellie! Currently I have a betta in a half gallon bowl but I will be either getting him a 5 gallon tank and having a 10 gallon aquarium, or giving him the 10 gallon and just having some tetras and a few snails in a 5 gallon. I also have 3 hermit crabs who will be going into a 29 gallon soon, but right now they are in the 10 gallon that I hope to use as an aquarium. I also have a dog and 3 guinea pigs.

Im 13 years old, so I hope this forum is kid friendly. I pay for my betta and hermit crabs myself, and since guinea pigs are expensive my mom helps with them. She buys food and hay, I buy anything else.

My betta doesn't have a name, and I kind of hope to name my fish in the ten gallon, but Im not sure because some of them look the same. I plan to have 6-8 neon tetras (Hopefully males as I had a pregnant female who died when she laid her eggs and everything got eaten a few years back) 2-3 male guppies, and 3 otto catfish. Would this be an ok amount to start/stay with for a 10 gallon? Also, I have made a shopping list for them. I hope to have a live tank though I don't know yet, as Im not sure if they tend to be more expensive than a "normal" tank. Here is my shopping list for supplies and plants, Im not buying the fish until the tank is up, running, and filtered through.

10 gallon "hang on" filter
5-10 gallon bubbler
10 gallon heater
grow light
gravel
1 or 2 aquarium ornaments
syphon
API Liquid Mast Test Kit
Omega One Fish Food
Water Conditioner by Prime 9or if I cant find that, API)\
Java Fern, or Melon Sword, or Crypt, or one of those moss balls

Any brands you guys reccomend. I have been talking to some other "fish people" about the best brands. So any suggestions would be great! And would a 5 gallon be enough for a betta?

Also, I need brands for everything except the water conditioner, food, and test kit. Or if there is a better one then I would love that brand!

One more thing lol. How much would this cost to set up? $200? $60? I have no idea. Super new to fish!

:hi: to the forum.

5 gallon is a good size tank for a Betta, he will be much happier!

Unfortunately, Neon Tetras are too active for a 10 gallon :/ a 15 is a minimum.
There are other small tetras and micro rasboras able to go into a 10 gallon.
Although they're not very colourful, you could have pygmy cory's instead of the tetras. You would need a sand substrate instead of gravel for them.
The other alternative is to have more guppies and ottos.
Apart from that, your stocking list looks good.

One thing you could add to your shopping list is plant fertilisers, the plants you have don't really need it, however it would really make them flourish!

Please cycle your tank before adding the fish, the details are in my sig.

Im not sure if I will even be getting the 10 gallon into and aquarium. Seeing if I have room, then convincing my mom after. I think with lots of research, and saving money, she will say yes. And, how muchshould it cost for all that? So then I can set some aside for them and have enough for the pets I have now.

One more thing, how do I go to my profile to give myself a profile picture?

Hello Ellie and welcome.

A Betta will be fine in a 5 gallon, but I'd rather see Bettas with larger finnage in a 10 gallon. Also a 10 gallon has more water and it may be easier for you to keep the water parameters more stable than in a 5 gallon.

To customize your profile, look at the top of the screen, at the right hand side! Can see your user name? When you click on that it will take you where you can customize everything. Just make sure the picture you choose is the right size, not too big or it won't work!

EllieJellyEllie said:
Im not sure if I will even be getting the 10 gallon into and aquarium. Seeing if I have room, then convincing my mom after. I think with lots of research, and saving money, she will say yes. And, how muchshould it cost for all that? So then I can set some aside for them and have enough for the pets I have now.

One more thing, how do I go to my profile to give myself a profile picture?
At the top right of the page you can see your username, click on that and go to My Profile, and at the top of that there should be a black button that says Edit my Profile, this will bring you to General Account Settings, and right there at the top is where you can select to change your photo ^_^

Welcome toforum!!!! And yes the betta will be fine in a 5 gallon ^_^

Dreamer03

What kind of turtle is that? I used to have a red eared slider and a river cooter! But since I got the guinea pigs I rehomed them so they could have the time I could not offer anymore.

Thanks to everyone else!

Also, any brands you guys like for filters? And would one of the hang on filters be ok for the 10 gallon?

A HOB should be fine, I use Aqua-Tech ones on my 55g. I use an aqueon quietflow on my 20g that my betta is in, it's adjustable so good for reducing the flow so he doesn't struggle :)

Hi Ellie, I'm also new to this forum. Look forward to chatting :)

I have an Aquaclear 20 filter on a 5 gallon turned to slow and I have drift wood under the waterfall to break up the flow. Later I will move it to a 10 gallon tank once it is set up!

I've got 2 Aquaclear 50 Filters running on my 40 gallon long tank. I am happy with how they handle the filtering, but I find there is a problem with should the power go out, the filters need to be primed to get running again. Came home once after a power outage and the motor on one of the filters had run hot, once the power had returned. It eventually turned on again after it was cooled off!

The Aquaclear 20 seems to not need the priming, go figure!

That's a tortoise actually, I forget the actual name, but I do have 2 tortoise and 3 red slider turtles who roam around my backyard and my house freely

Ellie, I keep my male Bettas in a 1-3 gal. tank and they are  fine and happy, In my opinion a 5 gal is to big for one betta. I have a 5 gal tank and have 6 Neons, 3 Dano's, 4 Platty,s and 1 Betta  they are doing great. 
I needed a new 10 gal. tank and went to Wal Mart and paid $30.00 for a kit, tank, hood, filter. light and you can get gravel there for around $7-8.00 to fill it. And please always use live plants
If you just want 1 Betta you can go to Pet Smart and get a Micro1 set up about $20.00 but I always go to Wal Mart for supplies if they have what I need. You can get small bags of gravel there too
I just bought 2 Micro1 set ups, they have filter, food and water conditioner with the set, hood with light. My Betta is doing great in it.
If you get a bigger tank don't forget a water test kit they run around $30.00 but last a long time and don't forget to cycle the tank before the fish. But with my Bettas I put in the water conditioner and waited a while and put them right in. I have 9 Male Bettas now
You don't have to spend a furtune to keep a few fish Oh and you know you can only have 1 male Betta in 1 tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back