Prehistoric Cats?

jmann

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard of these? I asked around in some local pet stores, and not one has heard of them. They are black with the same type of dorsal area like a ghost or clown knife. I used to have two but that was around 10 years ago. I was wondering if they are rare of illegal to sell now. I thought they were one of the coolest fish I had ever had.

-_- :huh: :no:

dunno mate on this one - bit more info might help.... :rolleyes:

maybe try 'planet catfish' ????

;)

I checked out planet catfish and found nothing. I did a search and found someone who had pics from a trip to the amazon of a prehistoric cat they caught on a hook. I also found a web site with a few hundred care sheets. The site had a care sheet on the prehistoric cat but no info on where to get one.

Have you got a name, link or piccie for it???

Interested to see what this is -_-

:)

I think the fish your talking about are sometimes called Black lancers,they appear in my lfs's every now and again.I enquired about them a couple of years ago and was told they only get to about 6" and are omnivores,but i didn't get one in the end so can't tell if it was true or not.I presume that since they do turn up with a certain ammount of regularity and aren't priced that high that they can't be that rare. :)

Prehistoric Cats from info off the web get up to 72" in wild and over 36" in tanks (apparently)

Probably not same as Black lancer's then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

yup that the puupy i was looking at earlier, Gibbo might have a bit of knowledge gonna go look at me catfish books and see if there anything in there! there not really much info around for the oddball catfish!"

I think I found it for sure. When I had mine they were called prehistoric cats. I just found a pic of one called a fossil cat. I am almost a hundred percent sure this is the one.

Fossil cat

mmm the legendary venomous catfish :rolleyes: mmmm would not want to put my hand in that tank :-( :-(

When I bought the two that I had nobody at the pet store ever mentioned they were venoumous. I used to put my hands in all the time to move things around. Does anyone know if they still are for sale?

;) Ask/phone around your lfs's, for them to get in touch with their wholesaler, to see if they can get them. Use the latin as well as the common name :) Mac.

Most reactions

Back