Pregnant Platy, not sure how to make her birth as smooth as possible??

fishymommaa

Reaction score
I honestly though that my Platy was just chunky. Well I was looking at her today and notice the little orange eggs forming towards her pectoral fin. I think she is pregnant??
I've been searching all over the internet to figure out what I should do with her and I am getting mixed answers so I am genuinely confused. I have a separate smaller tank that has fake plants toward the bottom 4th of the tank that I can put her in. The only issue is that the tank does not have a filter, I only have an air pump. I have only use that tank to quarantine one of my fish when she got dropsy. I thought about making a divider as well but I have a 25 gal tank and not sure about how much space she will need. I also don't have a lot of hiding places in the larger tank. I am really just not sure what to do an would appreciate any advice. This is her first pregnancy since we got her. I have attached pictures of both tanks and the momma.

Also I don't usually get off work early enough to make it to the pet store to buy any lives plants so I don't think that will be an option for us.

Attachments

• 20200419_225430923_iOS.jpg
    20200419_225430923_iOS.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200419_225436035_iOS.jpg
    20200419_225436035_iOS.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200419_225546000_iOS.jpg
    20200419_225546000_iOS.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 81
If you add her to the small tank just do a water change every couple days
If you move her use a cup, not a net, and do it sooner than later. Netting can kill her/her fry if it ruptures where the eggs are.

In the big tank just add lots of plants, especially floating plants. Then you can scoop the fry into the little tank with a cup (not a net) when they are born

If you add her to the small tank just do a water change every couple days
If you move her use a cup, not a net, and do it sooner than later. Netting can kill her/her fry if it ruptures where the eggs are.

In the big tank just add lots of plants, especially floating plants. Then you can scoop the fry into the little tank with a cup (not a net) when they are born

If I move her to the smaller tank will it stress her out? I don't want to accidentally cause her to terminate the pregnancy.

If I move her to the smaller tank will it stress her out? I don't want to accidentally cause her to terminate the pregnancy.
It might, I usually just add lots of plants and decor, especially at the surface, and cup the fry out after they are born

It always stresses them out when they are moved. Just be as gentle as possible. Don’t handle her without a net and don’t keep her out of the water for long.

You can just place some floating plants on the surface of the water. I did a YouTube video on how to breed platy. You can check it out if you like, and I recommend the third method in my video. Here is the link to it:

If you leave her in the tank make sure she and the other fish are well fed, They will be less likely to go after the fry if they have a full belly giving you time to retrieve the fry. Also turn down the lights which will help relax her.

Looks like your tank has lots of hiding places for the fry. I would add some floating plants if possible. When she fells safe and relaxed, nature will take over. Also she may have them all at once or in small groups over the next few days or even a week or two.

Even some java moss. My baby shrimp like to hide in it. I would guess fry would like it?

You could try to get some Salvinia.

The best thing for pregnant/ gravid livebearers is clean water, lots of plants and lots of food.

Do a few extra water changes leading up to the birth.

Feed them 3-5 times a day for a week or two before they give birth. The extra food will help the female build up some energy reserves and reduce the chance of her eating the babies.

Have lots of plants in the tank for the female and babies to hide in. Water Sprite is a floating plant that can also be grown in the substrate. It has lots of roots and is really easy to grow, and it makes an ideal plant for livebearers. However, any plants will do, even plastic ones.

Most reactions

Back