The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

jevans15

Reaction score
So, I have a pregnant Platy and iā€™ve separated her into a tank which is quite big so she can give birth. But I donā€™t know how long that could take, she has a swollen belly and Iā€™m pretty sure the dark spot on either side near her anal fin. But the \__/ shape hasnā€™t appeared yet I donā€™t think.

My question is, will separating her cause her stress? because I feel like she may be looking for the others despite constantly hiding, and I donā€™t want to cause any distress for her.

Thank you.
-Jack.

Ok thank you. So if I just leave her now will she become less stressed..?
If she is already pregnant for sure then you can leave her in the tank for a few weeks until she gives birth! She might have aborted the fry, but if you leave her in there for a while she will eventually give birth. Feeding your fish frozen foods (frozen bloodworms) or live foods (mosquito larvae or brine shrimp) will make them breed quicker because it is really healthy and triggers their breeding. Fir now, leave her in, and if she doesn't give birth within a month then she might have dropsy (scales sticking out on the sides) but it sounds like she is pregnant, though. I have had plates for over two years now, so I know a lot about breeding these guys. I hope this info helped you!!! ;)

If she is already pregnant for sure then you can leave her in the tank for a few weeks until she gives birth! She might have aborted the fry, but if you leave her in there for a while she will eventually give birth. Feeding your fish frozen foods (frozen bloodworms) or live foods (mosquito larvae or brine shrimp) will make them breed quicker because it is really healthy and triggers their breeding. Fir now, leave her in, and if she doesn't give birth within a month then she might have dropsy (scales sticking out on the sides) but it sounds like she is pregnant, though. I have had plates for over two years now, so I know a lot about breeding these guys. I hope this info helped you!!! ;)
If she aborted the fry the fry are dead and she wont have them ;)

Since you have her in a different tank (hopefully cycled) I would suggest lowering the lights which will help relax her. Add plants, hiding spots and floating plants will help. Fry like to hide in them. Make sure she has plenty to eat. If she is not hungry chances are good she will no eat the fry right away.

Since you have her in a different tank (hopefully cycled) I would suggest lowering the lights which will help relax her. Add plants, hiding spots and floating plants will help. Fry like to hide in them. Make sure she has plenty to eat. If she is not hungry chances are good she will no eat the fry right away.
Thank you! I have dimmed the lights, there are plenty of hiding spots too. :)

Right. got it thank you. But just one more thing; her scales are slightly spiked out, and I read somewhere this could just be because she is pregnant, or it could also be dropsy. She isnā€™t getting bigger at a rate which would suggest dropsy, but iā€™ve never dealt with it before. Any advice?

Right. got it thank you. But just one more thing; her scales are slightly spiked out, and I read somewhere this could just be because she is pregnant, or it could also be dropsy. She isnā€™t getting bigger at a rate which would suggest dropsy, but iā€™ve never dealt with it before. Any advice?
Might be dropsy. Post pics from above

Might be dropsy. Post pics from above
image.jpg

Damn! That is most likely dropsy. I have never had pregnant platy that had their scales spiked out, and when they did, they had dropsy. Please post some pics of it from above and from the side please. But it already sounds like she might have dropsy. And if she does, leave her in the tank or else if you move her in with the other fish then the disease might spread onto the other fish! BTW: Dropsy is mostly caused from poor water quality, not the correct water requirement or water parameters, or if the tank she is/was in was not fully cycled. If you are not sure how to post some pics, then this how you do it:
take photos of your fish, then transport them to a computer and add it to downloads. Click on: Attach Files bellow, and select the photos from your downloads file. Fish forums.net will upload them, and ta da! You can choose to put them in thumbnail or full image, either one are fine! :good:

Yeah that's dropsy. @Colin_T can help with it. I'm sad to say that it is not usually curable

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back