Pregnant Neons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I have 9 neons, of which 2 of them are looking ā€˜pregnantā€™ They have been like this for a few months now. At first I just assumed they would soon release eggs, but that hasnā€™t happened. Can anyone share some advice. Thanks
754FA92F-97B1-4692-8F91-FAD25842847E.jpeg

They donā€™t get pregnant as they are egg layers. She does look egg laden but neons also get big bellies after they eat. You would have to put her and a male in a breeding tank to breed and fertilize the eggs. She wonā€™t lay them normally if she isnā€™t mating. Her body will absorb them back. It is often difficult to breed neons in a home tank. I suggest reading and preparing yourself if youā€™d like to try but Iā€™d go with something easier like guppies. :)

Just saw that they have been like this a few months. They could have internal parasites. @Colin_T, do you want to add to this?

They can try treating the fish for intestinal worms.

Depending on what other fishes are in the tank, If it's just neons and other soft acid water fishes, make sure the pH is below 7.0 and the GH is below 50ppm. Then do 75% water changes every day for a week and see if they breed.

If they are in hard water, she could be egg bound.

Thanks for the input everyone. Iā€™m not to bothered about breading them. I was just concerned that the fish has been like that for a few months. I only have the one tank and donā€™t have space for another, so Iā€™m not able to separate them.

I have 9 neons and 1 amano shrimp in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back