Pregnant Molly?

KayKay08

Reaction score
Is my molly fish pregnant? And about to give birth? And if so how do I know when to separate her? The male is keeps chasing her.

Attachments

• EE16A412-4F4A-4065-8C5F-BBEE2D09C4DA.jpeg
    EE16A412-4F4A-4065-8C5F-BBEE2D09C4DA.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 1,488
Last edited:

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
You don't move gravid (pregnant) livebearers because you can harm or kill the developing young. Move the male out and leave the female in a well planted tank to give birth. Keep the male out for a few weeks after she has given birth, or just get rid of the male all together.

Ichthys

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Those little death trap breeding boxes are very stressful. What she wants/needs is to hide in amongst the plants when it’s time.

She can store sperm for half a dozen batches of fry so you don’t really need a male. With a male present you should have at least 3 or 4 females, so the male’s constant harassment is shared out and no one gets too bullied/stressed.

She looks like she has a week or two to go yet.... ish. :)

OP
K

KayKay08

Reaction score
Ok. Perfect! Also today I noticed she is hanging around the heater lots, is that normal? Sorry for all the questions first time having pregnant fish! I have 1 male and 2 females right now and a couple other fish, they don’t hang out by the heater although I think my other molly is pregnant as well.

Most reactions