Pregnant Male Platy? Someone Please Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ThePlatyPerson

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to this whole forum thing so bear with me,
A few months a go i bought a platy from a pet store and the lady told me it was a girl. I put it in my tank with my other platys for breeding and noticed that it was fighting with the other male, so i assumed that the lady was wrong and that it was male. I took it out and put it in my spare tank with my other odd platys/sword tails, that i'm not using for breeding, so it wouldn't fight and hurt other fish.

It has been in this tank for a while now and a couple of odd fry have turned up and they look exactly like the new fish i thought was a male. Then today i noticed that he/she had a VERY large belly and looks like she/he is about to burst. he/she also has what looks like a pinkish gravid spot. Can gravid spots be pink? (I'm kinda new to this whole live bearers breeding thing)

Help Much Appreciated!
smile.png

Here is a pic of my mysterious platy:
(sorry about the quality) 

Attachments

• IMG_5588.JPG
    IMG_5588.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 439
That is a very pregnant female twin bar platy.

The anal fin is a little clamped in that picture, but it appears to be 'fan-like' which is the hallmark for a female.  A male has a gonopodium.

Male platy:
250px-PlatyGonopodium.jpg

Female platy:
310px-Platy3.jpg

Wow, Thank you so much!
I will put her up into the breeding tank so her fry will have a better chance of survival!
smile.png

thanks again,
Theplatyperson

Most reactions

trending

Back