Pregnant Guppy Wont Eat!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

momof6

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My pregnant guppy who i about 6 weeks pregnant is sitting on the bottom of the tank mostly and won't eat, what could be the possible causes of this. 

Here are my specs: 

10 Gallon tank 

2 guppies - both female

Levels done using the master API test are as follows:

Ammonia : 0 
Nitrate: 10 ppm 
Nitrite: 0 
pH: 7.8 

I change the water twice a week to maintain a healthy environment and I make sure the water temp is the same when changing also, I never change the filter to keep the nitrogen cycle working. I simply swish it in the dirty water I clean out in order to get the  gunk out when its clogged. 

How long has she not been eating?
Does she have trouble getting off the bottom of the tank?
Does she look pale or darker in colour?
What does her waste look like when she goes to the toilet?

WILDER said:
How long has she not been eating?
Does she have trouble getting off the bottom of the tank?
Does she look pale or darker in colour?
What does her waste look like when she goes to the toilet?

6 days now she has not eaten
No she does swim around occasionally
Neither she is a gold guppy but her color looks the same as always
I have not seen her defecate probably because she has not eaten.

Once fish stop eating it sometimes hard to get them eating again. As if there ill they will starve themselves.
You could try soaking her favourite food in garlic juice to try and stimulate her appetite.
It could be bacterial. But it hard to say with so little to go on.
Does she lean to one side when resting?

WILDER said:
Once fish stop eating it sometimes hard to get them eating again. As if there ill they will starve themselves.
You could try soaking her favourite food in garlic juice to try and stimulate her appetite.
It could be bacterial. But it hard to say with so little to go on.
Does she lean to one side when resting?

No that is the weird thing she is completely normal aside from the not eating and resting on the bottom. I will try the garlic and see if that helps any... I hope she is ok, I am starting to wonder if it is because she is in labor and having a hard time. 

That could be a possibility.  Maybe try raising the temperature by a few degrees and see if that helps with labor. 

Poor thing.
Is it possible to load a pic of her onto the site?

She is the blonde guppy and the orange one I call her sunrise follows her everywhere!! But she generally hangs around the bottom of the tank 
20140317_1913551.jpg

20140317_1912371.jpg

I know these Pictures are not the best I will try and get more later!

bluesword23516 said:
That could be a possibility.  Maybe try raising the temperature by a few degrees and see if that helps with labor. 

Thank you it is already at 82 degrees I will raise it a degree higher, if you are wondering why so high it is because I was told it was a good temp to keep ich away as long as it is well oxygenated. :) 

Bless Her.
She looks OK to me. Maybe abit sad. But the not eating is a worry. Plus laying for long
periods of time on the bottom of tank.

If there no change in her by tomorrow night get back to your thread.

Are her fins clamped as it's hard to tell in the pics.

No fins look ok here are some more pics, and yes the not eating is worrying me as well.

Honey.jpg

So today I did a water changed and checked parameters before and after everything looks good. I am hoping that if I clean every other day I can keep the tank super clean and help her live. No guppy fry as I know they will not birth if stressed, I am just so worried about my fish
sad.png
How long can she survive like this before eating becomes an issue and she dies
sad.png
?

Here is a video I hope this helps you see what I mean better :  http://s253.photobucket.com/user/FlamesDesire_portfolio/media/Honeylayingatthebottom.mp4.html

I got her to eat yay!!!! She at a pea it was diced and cooked. :) and she is no longer just laying on the bottom she is hiding by the plants but at least she is top side :) One small step. 

Congrats. 

Glad to hear she has eaten and is getting better. Bless her.

I hope she gets better! I know I love my guppies, they can be pretty funny.  I hope she continues to eat! 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back