pregnant gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mz_angely

Reaction score
i have a pregnant gourami and she's about to pop out but the male doesnt seem to be making the bubble nest ......pls tell me what i need to do to save the eggs.

: )

Well if she is fat she's not pregnant.

Gourami eggs aren't fertalized until the embrace. And if he hasn't made a nest I doubt there has been an embrace. Once embrassed the eggs fall so until you see eggs somewhere they aren't fertile.

Having a female full of eggs doesn't mean anything. It's not bad that you don't breed her.

Dont worry the female wouldnt have the eggs unless the male had a bubble nest ready.Try taking half of the water out and raing the temp so the male will build one.

But you female might just be well fead and is putting on weight.

i forgot to tell u that its PEARL GOURAMI . i bought it pregnant ..well that's what the lady said and it looks pregnant to me.... but the thing is i'm not sure if my male gourami is the dad will that be ok eventhough his not the daddy.

i have a margarine lid and put 2 holes inserting the rubber band ...i've search it somewhere on the internet and put it on my fish tank where the pregnant gourami and male gourami and i've seen a few bubble there probably 3 bubbles ..is he starting to make a bubble nest for the eggs ????

do i need to turn off the pump so it wont disrupt the male to make the bubble nest??

Females don't get pregnant... they don't hold eggs

As soon as the eggs are fertalized they are put into the bubblenest... the lfs person was wrong. Gourami don't get "pregnant"

i'm confused when u said female gourami don't get pregnant....

Gourami's are not livebearing fish, they are egg layers...livebearing fish "get pregnant", but gourami's breed in a much different way. The female produces eggs inside her, during spawning the couple wrap around each other and some of the eggs come out, when that happens the male releases some sperm to fertilize the eggs that were released. If done properly the eggs will now be fertilized and a baby fish will start to grow inside the egg which will hatch in a couple of days if properly taken care of by the male gourami. So until those eggs are released and fertilized, they are just unfertilized eggs (basically nothing). So whoever told you your female Gourami was "pregnant" was either lieing to you to make a sale or just plane ignorant on the matter. So she is not "pregnant" and there is no "daddy" yet.

Hope that clarifys it for you :)

Linda
http://www.pet-emporium.com
http://www.cooking-fanatics.com

wow! thanks for that .... it helps me a lot .. i understand everything i need to know now..im not confused anymore.. and also my male is making lots of bubbles now and they always wrap around each other.

once again thank you so much for all ur help ......
i was wondering if the baby hatch what can i feed them and how many babys am i expecting....: )

my gourami laid eggs lastnite and i took out the female when shes empty and now the male is looking after the eggs there so small but some of the eggs where on the side of the margarine lid almost of top where there is no water except for bubbles. can i move the eggs through tha water so the male can see it and so he can look after it ??????? is it a good idea to turn the light on, to help the eggs hatch ??? how long do ineed to wait to see the baby's ??? i just cant wait ....

: ) thanxxxx

dont try and move the eggs,that could mess up the nest,and that wouldnt be good :no:

keep the light on as much as ypu usaly do ,and they should hatch in about 36-48 hrs.

thanx gourami lover ... u r much help than searching information on the net.
u see, this is my first time looking after gourami and im really excited with the baby's.
does the baby gourami need plants cause i just wanna keep it plane ..like just water, nuthing else so its easier to clean???

once they start swimming can i feed them flakes cause thats all i hav at the moment or maybe pellets and just crush them really tiny ????

im planning to get livebearers too... like pregnant guppys and molly. do u know anything about them ????

thankx : ) mzangely

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back