Pouring Water Into Tank

bolivian_d

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Could pouring water too quickly into a tank (i.e from a bucket at a reasonable rate) during water changes cause structural damage to a tank? If so, is it likely?
 
shouldn't do. your just displace some of the sand/gravel. but the old plate trick cures that (Put the plate in the tank as you pour the water in hits the plate insead of the gravel)
 
shouldn't do. your just displace some of the sand/gravel. but the old plate trick cures that (Put the plate in the tank as you pour the water in hits the plate insead of the gravel)


yes i agree.

if there is alot of pressure by puring whole bucket really fast then yes u could cause severe structural damage.

i always siphon it back in
 
I've filled many a tank from mains pressure hoses with no issue. I suppose there is the potential for an issue if you tried to pour 70-100% of the water into the tank in one go...
 
I've filled many a tank from mains pressure hoses with no issue. I suppose there is the potential for an issue if you tried to pour 70-100% of the water into the tank in one go...


Yes, I think you may need a few towels down for that.
 
I dump 5 gallons of water into a 5 gallon tank in somewhere under 3 seconds without any problem, I fill 2.5 gallon tanks in less than that. They contain no fish when I do this.
 
I dump 5 gallons of water into a 5 gallon tank in somewhere under 3 seconds without any problem, I fill 2.5 gallon tanks in less than that. They contain no fish when I do this.

you sound like my hubby when we have an empty tank he just chucks the water in from the buckets and we havent had any structural probs -------yet :rolleyes:
 
It shouldnt unless you have a huge bucket that you can dump out all at once.. A full tank of water exerts more pressure than a stream of water falling a couple of feet. If you already have water in the tank, the water from the stream is spread out through the water in the tank.
 
I dump 5 gallons of water into a 5 gallon tank in somewhere under 3 seconds without any problem, I fill 2.5 gallon tanks in less than that. They contain no fish when I do this.
Interesting. I stand corrected (on smaller tanks, at least).

I wonder whether the cubic nature of volume would cause this to be a bigger problem with larger tanks. A 5 gallon tank has around 20kg of water in it. A 150 gallon tank has about 600kg of water in it but I doubt it has 30 times as much glass around it.

However, I am surprised that you can do the tanks so quickly. I wonder if anyone has a spare 55 gallon tank and a tipping barrel that holds at least 55 gallons of water and would like to experiment... :D
 
I've honestly never thought about it being a problem. I just do it. I have an old 20 or 29 gallon in the garage, if it were warmer I'd recruit a few friends with 5 gallon buckets, do a group dump.
 
i have been filling my tank with 25litre ro barls wich i have hoisted straight onto my shoulder and poured into the tank for ages without any bother
 

Most reactions

Back
Top