Potential New Fish Tank!

Vicky99

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Gloucestershire - UK
Hi,

I have been offered a swap by a friend (who's goldfish have now died of old age!!) of his tank (approx 300 litres) for my piano (which I don't have room for/don't play because it upsets the neighbours!!).

Can anyone give me any advice on how to clean it and prepare it for fish. Can I use water from my current tank to help cycle it etc. Also, I was thinking that since my current set up is very much a peaceful community, I might have the second tank for more agressive fish. I'd like something nice to look at and interesting to watch. Any suggestions?

Might have to hit the books and research this one!!

Vic.
 
Re the tank: I'd wipe with a weak bleech solution then rinse out very well. Probably best to replace the gravel/ sand with new, particularly if it's been sitting been damp for a while.
The filter media I'd also replace, and do a fishless cycle.
Unfortunately the tank water from your current set up will contain very very little (or more likely, no) freindly filter bacteria - it's almost all in the filter media with some in the gravel. If you can add some filter floss from old tank to new, this would spead the process up, but the water won't.
Re collurfull, active/ aggressive, how about Africal cichlids of some type - I know v little about these, though!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top