Postive ID!!! *Update* 3/23/05

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I would like to point out that there IS more than one species of banjo catfish! But im not so sure now that i have seen a side profile. I doubt that it is a bacu cat but i also doubt its banjoishness!

Oh i know i know *sticking my hand up*

Seen them a lot in the shops recently i believe its a very pale hara hara catfish
hara hara

Aaaaaaaaaahhh!!! *pulls out hair* He looks like all of them! Do you think he'll change colors/shade as he gets older? If not, he is probably a Hara hara... though I haven't seen catfish that look like this for sale ANYWHERE. He's kinda creepy looking, but in a cute way. :wub: He ate a slightly bigger bloodworm today! :D I am so obsessed... sheesh... I sit there with an eye-dropper and squeeze the worm out so that it just barely touches his little whiskers and then he slurps it down. Sometimes he doesn't notice it so I have to suck it back up and do it all over again. *sigh* The things I do for my fish. :rolleyes: I'll make sure to take pictures every week or so to document his progress. It will be interesting to see how/if he changes as he matures.

That's no banjo, this is a banjo:

One of ours:
banjo2thumb.jpg

Yours looks like some sort of woodcat Parauchenipterus spp.

here's some at PlanetCatfish.

Well its almost certainly a Doradid species, the barbels and mouth seem to be the wrong shape to be from the Auchenipteridae group (wood cats). Its most likely that this is a juvenile fish and will develop stronger paterning/colours as it grows.

CFC said:
The barbels and mouth seem to be the wrong shape to be from the Auchenipteridae group (wood cats).
Hmm, yes I see what you mean. the whiskers are totaly different. Well spotted.

I agree with aloaring, it looks like a hara hara. I had never heard of them before, but now that I see the pics...it looks right. Its just odd that a petsmart would be selling such a rare type catfish. Hmph.

They are FLAT, your catfish looks like a corydora of some sort.

He is definitely not a corydoras... they are pudgy and roundish. He is flat... just not as flat as a banjo catfish.

The woodcats also have much larger mouths... so that can't be it either.

Its just odd that a petsmart would be selling such a rare type catfish. Hmph.

It's weird because the guy that gave him to me (for free!! :p) said, (and I quote) "Some guy brought them in." Not sure exactly what that means... but it sounds like someone had an unwanted spawn or something. :dunno: He couldn't believe that the little guy was still alive. Poor baby must have been living off of scraps of food that the snails were eating. :-(

Well folks, he has been positively ID'd thanks to the amazing guys over at *another forum*! (Probably because they are slightly obsessed with catfish...) He is officially a Hara jerdoni! Which is just wonderful because there is barely any info on them. I do know, though, that I need to switch him over to sand. What type should I get? Would regular playsand work? Thanx for all of your help!

BTW- He is getting darker and his hara jerdoni patterns are becoming more and more distinct. Plus, he's eating more and is more active/responsive than when I first got him. Seems like everything is going well! I promise to post more pictures soon!

*Edit*: I forgot that you're not supposed to "advertise other sites". Oops... :*)

Yay! I know the site you mean and they certainly do know their catfish!

So Aloaring was the closest, with the guess of a Harahara. Well done Aloaring!

Let's see some more photos when it colours-up a bit more please!

I believe only a couple of inches... though I'm not sure how many. Probably somwhere in the range of 4in or so. :D

Most reactions

Back