Possible Ich

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nadajdui

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all. I just looked at my fish this morning, and most of them have these little white things that look like parasites on their fins. Very small, they look like grains of sand. On one fish, on the tail, they're like little cylinders. I have never had ich in my tank before, so I just want to have a second opinion. It is not on their bodies at all, only on their fins.

Tank-80 gallons (48"L 24"T 16"W)
Temp-25C
ph-7-7.2
nitrates-5
nitrites-0
ammonia-0
plants-floating
substrate-sand
livestock- 11 juvie-young adult Ptychochromis oligacanthus , 1 keyhole cichlid, 1 festivum, and 1 adult Geophagus itapicurensis
Medications-no
Other chemicals added-no
Water changes- About 20% every 3 days
Filtration- 2 70 AC (Aquaclear) filters, on max. Overall filtration is sufficient for 140 gallons.
Feeding- Twice daily. Formula Two flakes, OSI chcilid aquarium flake food, spirulina flakes, bloodworms are what they get, spread out over each week.
I just got the 80 gallon tank recently, so all the fish were essentially added at the same time.

Thanks for the help.

No one? Okay, how about this question:
I know I don't have to use medications for ich, if indeed it is ich. So, after raising the temperature, how many tsps or tbsps of aquarium salt should I use per gallon?

You can only add salt if you have no scaless fish.
One teaspoon to 5 gals.
Turn temp up to 30, increase aeration as the high temp and med will reduce 02 in the tank.
Remove black carbon if you use it.
Follow med instructions.
Good luck.
Best to treat an extra week after spots have gone.
Sounds like whitespot if the spots are grain of salt size.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back