Possible Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kaidonni

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I might have a baby White Cloud Mountain Minnow in my tank. I saw something dart about the other day, and one of the male Minnows went for it. I thought it was a bit odd, something moving like that, and wondered what possibly might have gotten into the tank. Today I noticed for certain what looks like fry, though only one I think. Seeing it head on, definitely a dot either side for the eyes. Too large to be a parasite (I hope!), and I don't think anything else could've gotten into the tank. I saw it trying to swim against the current at the top, it doesn't look like anything else but fry.

I've shot some video, but as it's so tiny and was in the back corner at the time, it's not the best footage. I've now moved an Elodea into that corner for additional cover, although it's not the tallest of my two Elodea (the other doesn't look like it's going to last, so I thought it best not to move that one - better the new one for this purpose).

I don't know if I could use any meshing to separate this fry from the other Minnows, or some type of trap. I've considered up-ending my net and selotaping it to the outside of the tank hood, trapping the single fry safely in the net, but then when it comes to next Sunday's tank clean, it gets a bit awkward. I also don't know how I'd go about feeding it until it's safe enough to swim with the other Minnows. If it's still alive...it does seem to be good at darting away when the others try to eat it.

As my ~50L tank swings from 21C-23/24C in the day, I'm not sure how any fry would handle that either. Heater isn't plugged in as these are cold water fish, the overhead light heats the water enough for 7 hours a day.

Congrats! :D
Nets don't seem to work for very small fry. I had to catch my zebra danio fry with a plastic drinking cup...
Good luck! I'm rooting for the little guy! LOL <3

I'm curious about how I go about feeding them. On freshaquarium.about.com, it mentions very fine micro foods or liquifry. Since I don't have many and I don't have a tank setup for raising fry, I can't go mad with feeding them. I'm not sure that they'd eat whatever I gave them at the moment anyway, they keep to the very edges of the tank, away from the adult Minnows. Possibly as they grow, some of the finer specks of flake food that fall into the tank will be of some good to them; also when I feed pea, I could mush the pea up more so it's more powdery and disperses more into tiny particles.

I don't know if I can set up a mesh net in the tank to protect them, it's putting it in there and getting the thing to stay up somehow. Hopefully a few survive.

I just noticed that the one female Minnow is rather bloated all along her underbelly, from front to back (the bloated area has a sheen to it); but since I've currently got Minnow fry present in the tank, it's not unreasonable to assume that she is also now carrying eggs. More than one of the females could have been impregnated. I still worry about potential health issues such as dropsy and constipation, though. I always will worry.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back