The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Linkandnavi

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Evening all,

Does anyone know whether there would be any issue with positioning an internal power filter horizontally? I cannot in theory think of why it would be an issue. A filter such as the Aquael Mini Pat. A small pump pulls water through a sponge, which then passes through a small bio-media chamber and then back out at the "top" through either an outflow nozzle or spray bar depending on preference. I can't think of why the process would be any less effective with it in a horizontal position?

The context is I'm being given a 60l (aprox. 16 US Gallon) Biorb by my father in law. While I'd never choose a Biorb my wife has, quite fairly, placed a semi-permanent ban on me buying any more tanks but given her dad is giving it to me, she's agreed. I want to remove the internal "bubble tube", ignore the undergravel filter (and the horrible media) that comes with it and instead use a planting soil, aquascape it and use it as a planted 60l palace for a betta or pygmy puffer. That means adding a different kind of filtration.

Due to the curved "orb" walls, you can't attach an internal filter in the usual way, so I was thinking of attaching the suction caps to a small piece of slate which would then lie on the substrate, keeping the whole thing down. I can easily plant around that, hiding it from sight. Yes, I could run a sponge filter for that kind of bioload but I'd rather use a small power filter as I can more readily port over some existing media for a quick cycle and the shape of the filter is a bit more manageable than a traditional sponge.

Thanks!

I have run Hailea internal filters horizontally without a problem. But Eheim filters don't seem to work as well. So I think it is a trial and error thing. Just point it up slightly so that the current runs to the top of the tank.

I have run Hailea internal filters horizontally without a problem. But Eheim filters don't seem to work as well. So I think it is a trial and error thing. Just point it up slightly so that the current runs to the top of the tank.
Thanks ? that's really helpful. Shall opt for trial and (fishless) error!

Most reactions

Back