Poorly Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EllRog

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, I was at my LFS today and noticed a female crown tail, laying on her side in the tank. I enquired about her health and the employee said they'd had her for "a while" and that she hadn't shown signs of illness before. After inspecting the fish and her conditions I noticed the flow in her tank was pretty strong and that she was probably in fairly hard water as the water in that area is known to be hard. I wondered if maybe she was tired from the current and not feeling great because of her parameters. Long story short, the employee called her boss and he said I could take her home for free in an attempt to nurse her back to health as noone will probably buy her. She seems to really struggle to swim and other than going to the surface for air, spends her time at the bottom of the tank on her side. She's not pinconing or anything and other than her behaviour, doesn't look particularly ill. Does this sound like swim bladder syndrome or does it sound like something else?

I'm pretty sure she would have been left to die to be honest so I'm just making an attempt to fix her up.

@Colin_T I've set up a box for her will a cycled filter and heater, should I go ahead with salt and get her in there or is she already a lost cause?

I mean you can try the salt, but it seems to me she's just weakened from the fast flow.
I thought that, but it's her behaviour since I've got her home, she's exactly the same. It's an obvious struggle to swim. I've put her in her own tub with salt, stress coat and almond leaves. I'll treat her for swim bladder as I'm 100% sure it is after further research. We'll see

She is probably very tired...

That would be like trying to run uphill (for us humans) all day. :no:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back